Chapter Twelve

What's worse than trying to console a mournful child? Losing to cocky teenagers that celebrated in the middle of the fields with a dance that would put most Tik Tokers to shame. That's right. The little fuckers hit every beat of DJ Khalid's 'All I Do Is Win' for a painful fifteen seconds that strutted off the grass as if they were Kansas City Chiefs. Tulip swallowed down the defeat and determined the only way to soothe the burn was to consume unholy amounts of ice cream.

Sweet Polar was the best place for her to execute her plan. The crisp pastel colors painted along the walls like a linear rainbow lifted her mood. The low buzz of energy bouncing off the patrons bordering square tables ignited a spring to her step as she led Sydney to a both along the back wall. Neisha started to lower herself in the booth next to her but Lachlan waved for her to join him at the booth in the corner and Tulip didn't mind. She wanted some more time with Sydney. She hadn't uttered one word since they exited the park.

"So, we're both lactose intolerant," Tulip said, staring over the heads of people to see the digital menu of original and eclectic flavors. "How do you feel about Pound Cake Batter? Or Parisian Vanilla?"

Sydney remained silent as she drew figure eights on the cold, sleek table.

"I'll get us a scoop of both." She said, rising from the seat. "Be right back."

She nodded without looking up. Tulip's shoulders shook as low as the little girl's. Ice cream couldn't bring back a parent but she hoped it would push back the gnawing hurt and longing for just a couple of seconds. Two scoops weren't going to be enough so she came back to the table with a sampler's tray, which was a scoop of everything on the menu on a frozen metal disclike platter. That was thirty-two scoops but it was worth it once she arrived back at the table seeing Sydney's eyes go wide as the server set the dish on the table.

Still, no words were exchanged as she waited for Sydney to pick which perfect scooped mound she was going to taste first.

Tulip watched her tap her chin with the spoon and couldn't help the surge of emotions that swarmed her. Adoration mingled with anxiousness and tightened the lean muscles of her upper back. The weight on her shoulders couldn't be absolved with the creamery. She was guilty. It was irrelevant but she couldn't shake the rambling of her mind that nagged her as she held Sydney close to her chest. Those tears were her fault. That soul-shattering moaning was because of her. She was the one that placed Sydney in Amelia's care and thus allowing her to be in this predicament; grieving her mother.

  Tulip searched for the words to say that would ease the residual sadness that remained in the child's body like a scabless wound. She decided to address the biggest barrier that stopped them from forging ahead in their relationship. Communication. But she couldn't just command her to speak English. No, she had to make it seem like it was a compromise. Outwit the almost pre-teen.

"My favorite dessert ever is lemon cake." Tulip's words were clear along with the joyful music that flowed from the speakers. Sydney's eyes went to her momentarily before she slid her spoon in a funfetti chocolate mound. "It was my Granny's specialty." She sat back against the tan booth letting her spine mold to the cushion. "She was a strong woman, a resourceful woman. Get you straight with a quickness and the main one in your corner if you did a cheerleader."

Tulip's mouth turned up remembering the woman that became her mom when she no longer had hers. She continued, catching the eagerness in Sydney's eyes as she consumed the ice cream from the spoon.

"I went through a phase." She inhaled deeply feeling the emotions that took years to tuck down burned in the back of her throat. "After my parents passed away I lost my taste for food. Nothing made me hungry. I was too sad to eat." She carved out a chunk of the Peach-mango paradise joining Sydney in the tasting. "Three days of nothing but a few sips of water, sleep, tears then I caught a sniff of lemon, butter, and sugar in the air one midnight."

Tulip let the ice cream melt on her tongue and it held up to his name. "I sat in front of the oven waiting until it was baked to perfection and as I waited my Granny sat there with me. It was sixty-five minutes of quiet. A quiet that comforted me. Wrapped around and let me know she was there for me and I still had someone to care for me."

She swallowed hard, fighting back the tears. "After scarfing down three pieces I asked her why she loved making lemon cake most of all. She told me it was a euphemism for life; tart and sweet. Life is hard but it's also filled with delight. Then you know what else she told me."

Sydney shook her head as she moved another spoonful of ice cream to her mouth.

"Just like you need more sugar than lemon juice to make a good cake, you need more happiness than pain to make a good life. And you, my girl, need some delight. What do you think about that?"

"Bien." Sydney's voice was light as she slid her spoon in a green mound.

"Can we agree on one thing, though."

Sydney's sight went to her waiting for her to continue."

"I want us to be a team in pursuit of delight and that kinda means that we have to be on the same page...speak the same language. How would you feel about speaking more English."

Sydney's eyebrows drew together as her hand tightened around the spoon.

"Just until I up my French skills." Tulip countered. "Get in some Rosetta Stone hours."

The hills in Sydney's eyebrows evened out. "Oui."

"Oui." Tulip nodded. The surge of elation that wafted through her body eased some of the tension bundling her nerves. Who'd have known one simple word would change her entire mood around. "Hey..." She leaned towards the table. "You want to see two people falling in love?"

Sydney nodded.

She pointed to Neisha taking a sip of Lachlan's milkshake as he drank her in with fascination and admiration. "They're going to be boo'd up before the end of the summer."

Sydney turned back to her with a twist to her mouth.

"I'm right. I can tell these things. I'm like Match.com when it comes to couples."

Sydney's mouth curved up and hers did the same. She, however, was in love. She was done for. Tulip loved Sydney almost more than life itself.

Do you think Tulip's Granny's advice about life is right? You need more delight than pain to make a good life?

How do you think Tulip and Sydney's hunt for delight will go?

Is Tulip's prediction correct, will Neisha and Lachlan be boo'd up before the end of summer?