Chapter Seventeen

Irvine was a complete jackass but he was right about the priority of her new role. As a guardian, there were four things that were incredibly important; shelter, food, love, and culture. Amelia had done a wonderful job rearing Sydney and keeping her alive but somethings had leaked through the cracks. Tulip wasn't going to be all judgy and nitpick but just because something was classical and crafted before the eighteen hundreds didn't make it better. Ballet was beautiful but the Wobble was more fun.

Fun fact: Sydney didn't know the Wobble, Cupid Shuffle, or the Cha-Cha Slide. A factoid she learned during the ride home from the Diamond Glitter. A detail she was going to change. Dancing was what Tulip did. She wasn't a cheerleader or a prima ballerina but when music played her hips kept it real. It was a gift Sydney also had, she was privy to her moves at the office when Neisha turned on her 'Get Organized' playlist before quitting time. But right now the education she was giving her little pupil had nothing to do with music.

"Rule one." Tulip held up her finger in the head chair at the dining table. "Fried chicken isn't something you get at a popular chain. KFC, hell no. I didn't taste eleven herbs and spices. The only thing that bit my tongue was salt and you don't want to lose your foot like Big Mama."

Sydney shook her head rapidly.

"Right." Tulip gave her a thumb's up."

"Who's Big Mama?" Sydney asked leaning closer to the table. "Did we meet her?"

Tulip laughed. "It's someone in a movie that I'll show you when you get older." She was sure Sydney wasn't only enough to see some scenes in the film even though she saw it when she was a year longer than the girl across from her. Yes, Sydney was wise for her age but she wasn't ready to strip her of her innocence with sex and all that. Plus, she wasn't ready to have that discussion.

"OKR is where you go for all things soul food." She gestured to the paper bag that was just delivering a couple of minutes ago like a game show host. "The recipes are handed down from the elder matriarch of the family. It's almost as good as my Granny's and requires no work for me."

"I have a grandmother." Sydney started, with excitement lacing all of her words. "I've never had one of those."

"Ah..." Tulip's nose crinkled as she bought time. She didn't want to blot out the happiness that brightened Sydney's and they were finally getting on common ground. Now was not the time for another sad story. So, avoidance and moving on was the best choice. "Her macaroni and cheese is the best."

Tulip ripped the taped off the bag and straightened the fold. "I love it best when it's fresh from the oven. Hot, gooey, cheesy goodness." She placed the containers near their empty plates free of the lids. More than eleven herbs and spices swirled in the air between them, her stomach rumbled and mouth-watered with anticipation. She swallowed and asked. "Which piece is your favorite? Drumsticks. Wings. Tenders. They're all good to me so you get first pick."

"Huh," Sydney scratched at her temple, wisps of hair already coming out of the French braid she did that morning from being her trusty assistant. She sharpened pencils and greeted customers in all the languages she knew but it was still a trusted duty. "My mom says fried chicken isn't healthy for you and you get gunk in your heart."

"I mean..." Tulip glanced at the buttermilk battered, golden-brown fried chicken. "Technically, true but we have vegetables." She gestured to the slow-cooked collard greens and creamed corn and this is a special occasion."

Sydney's head tilted like an inquisitive Golden Retriever. "It is?"

"Yes!" Tulip leaned in with excited eagerness that made the girl smile. "You've talked English half the day and you're still going." She held up her hand.

Sydney looked at the palm facing her with confusion.

"High five." She plucked Sydney's hand off the table and brought it to hers. "That's a high five. We'll work on it." She pointed to the chicken. "Which piece?"

"Can I have a..." She twisted her mouth to the side for a moment as she thought. "A tender."

"Of course, my child," Tulip said with faux regalness that made Sydney chuckle.

Once Tulip made her choice Tulip finished making their plates. The silence told her everything she needed to know. Sydney was enjoying the food and didn't want to interrupt her flow between bites. Tulip couldn't help staring at her like a weirdo but she couldn't get enough of making the little girl happy.

Sydney's plate was almost empty when she reached for her cup to take a sip of tea. She swallowed the brew then let out a sigh. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah," Tulip said around a mouth of mac and cheese. She quickly munched the cheese and noodles to a size safe enough to swallow. "You can ask me anything."

"Uh..." Sydney flipped the fork handle with her eyes settled on the half-eaten chicken tender. "That man today...the one with the long hair." She lifted her eyes onto Tulip. "Is he my dad?"

Tulips choked on a kernel of corn. A fit of cough ensued to push the veggie down. Sydney slid out her chair and patted her on the back, worrying and fear riddled her face.

"I'm fine." Tulip's throat was hoarse. She reached for Sydney's hand to stop the hard pounds to her back. She didn't remember ten-year-olds being that strong when she was ten. "Austin is not your dad. You dad is—"

A rap of knocks at the door saved her from having to drudge up the memory of Jasper Young.

Thank God for small blessings.

"Be right back," Tulip said before hustling off to the door as the person knocked again. It was probably the delivery person. The bag was short of cornbread but she was too tired to call back for cubed helpings of savory bread.

"I'm here. I'm here. Calm down." She twisted the two locks and opened the door. The man standing on the porch made a fresh batch of angry boil in the pit of her stomach. "Irving? Why the hell are you here?"

"I couldn't just leave without seeing my goddaughter." A grin grew on his tan face. "It would be proper of me."

It was like his voice called Sydney from the living room and she rushed the man like a linebacker.

"Uncle Irvine!" She said with her face smothered against his stomach and arms gripping him tight in a hug. "I missed you."

Tulip snarled at the shit-eating grin he adorned.

Irvine hugged Sydney back and brushed the tendrils of hair from the side of her face. "I missed you, too, Daffodil."

Of fucking course. Tulip gripped the doorknob tightly.

Sydney looked up at him with a love beaming in her eyes, a look that instantly made Tulil jealous. "Can you stay the night?" She turned to Tulip. "Can he stay the night? Please?" She sang the latter with an urgency that tugged at Tulip's heart.

Could she say yes? Would she say yes? She loathed the man but loved the girl.  What was she to do?

What do you think Tulip is going to do? Welcome Irvine and let him stay the night?

What the first 'R' rated movie you say? For me, it's The Devil's Advocate' (Actually Misery but I was too young and have no memory of it)