Chapter Twenty-Five

"Late August is better for me." Tulip declared from the comfort of her Bronco idling in the parking lot of a posh shopping plaza a couple of blocks away from her office. It was the best place to meet him, not close to work, and not so far she'd have to endure the noon traffic rush.

"August?" Will's harked as if by some magical way she poked him in the side with a stick. "I'm a teacher, Tutu. The break is over."

"You're a coach." She clarified as if he didn't know his job title. Sure, he taught history but coaching was the reason he procured the position. "Anyway, I'm just too busy to entertain guests."

"Entertain?" He did it again, shock and surprise lacing his voice. "We're not guests. We're family. You haven't seen Jason since he was three months. He's almost one, Tutu. You want your nephew to think of you as a stranger."

You're a stranger to your niece. The words immediately formed in her head and she covered her mouth with her fingertips preventing them from flowing out. What was supposed to be a simple, catchup conversation while she drove from her boutique to the restaurant turned into a full-on disagreement? Will wanted to see her and she didn't want him to. She wasn't ready to tell him about Sidney not right now. Not while she was about to talk to Jasper. She'd rather deal with one heavy conversation a month.

"He's just eight months." She said glancing at the time. She needed to wrap this up so she could get this meeting over with. "Will, it's been real but I have to go. Call you, later."

"Sure." He said as if he didn't believe her, which he was entitled to. They have different meanings later. To him later meant later that day and for her, it meant sometime in the next two days but never more than a week.

Honestly, the last time she told him that she forgot but she had a good excuse. He just wasn't privy to it.

As soon as they said their goodbyes, she dropped her phone in her satchel bag and killed the engine. Her hand went to her stomach as she strutted to the cafe trying to remain calm and take easy breaths. She repeated it in her mind like a mantra until she entered the busy, modern little restaurant that was busy but not crowded. A low hum of energy hovered around as the cool a/c chilled the sweat that threatened to percolate on the small of her back from the hot humidity outside.

She hesitated at the booth where a hostess would normally be but her eyes instinctively found Jasper's in the corner at a table by a window that had a great view of a manmade pond. She took in a shallow breath at the electricity that sparked in her chest locking into his gaze. For a moment she blinked and wondered how things would've been if this was the first time they were meeting. If they both swiped right on each other or a friend of a friend thought they'd hit it off. If this was their first date would they've been a great match for each other? Then reality seeped in as utensils clacked against plates and the what if faded only leaving the tragic history.

He rose from his seat as she arrived at the table. Isn't he just a gentleman. Calm down, ladies. Sure he's hot enough to melt butter but he'll sky up when you really need him. Beware of a mad dasher. She wanted to give the warning to the woman at the adjacent table that was ogling his frame.

"I'm glad you're here." Jasper declared leaning towards her as if he was going to give her a hug but immediately stopped and glued his hands to his sides. "I didn't think you were going to reply."

"No," Tulip said dryly, taking a seat. "I'm not you. I don't vanish."

His chest rose high from the deep breath he took in before sitting across from her. "I deserve that."

"I wasn't asking for permission." She nonchalantly half-shrugged then interlocked her fingers together over the menu on the marble table. "I'm here. So....speak."