Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Let me see what else you've got there." Tulip said, sitting the last tote bag full of groceries on the kitchen island.

She was glad to be home. The duo had been running errands since early that morning. Tulip had to take advantage of this Sunday and cross the planned soccer game off the schedule. Lachlan would have to carry the torch as coach for her because the week ahead was jam-packed with events on top of events. There's the Townsend-Williams engagement party on Monday, Bianca Fehl's Second Birthday Bash for Tuesday, The Garcia Quinceanera on Wednesday, Thursday she had a meeting with the Eunoia Country Club for a prospect fundraising opportunity, and Friday and Saturday was the Mitchell Family Reunion. It was smack dab in the middle of summer so the peak hadn't taken Tulip by surprise, it's just the new addition has made the hectic schedule more eventful.

Sidney hopped from the couch and skipped towards her, curly ponytail bouncing energetically along the way.

"I still have to cross number three off the list." Sidney told her before handing her the pink and green notebook she picked out from the stationary store across the street from Tulip's boutique. "Even though we haven't completed it, yet. We can still count it, right?" She asked from her spot on the floor next to the cans of paint.

Yes, number three was to redecorate the guest room. Sidney didn't need to twist her arm any. Tulip wasn't a fan of the wall color in the room to begin with but she kept it because it was for guests. She didn't want to spruce up the room and entice her guest, more like her brother to stay longer than two days. She loved the guy but she didn't love being a host. It was her job to entertain, she didn't want to do said skill off the clock. Home was home and she wanted to chill and relax.

"Yeah." Tulip answered, reading the list and seeing that it had expanded to a solid baker's dozen. The way Sidney peered up at with uncertainty that hadn't surprised her one bit. She'd told Sidney about the upcoming week two weeks ago at the same time when she let her know that a sitter was coming to take care of her during the evening.

"The plan is to start painting today so we're starting today." Tulip glanced at the clock. It was almost four in the evening. She'd have to brew up a fresh pot of coffee but she was going to uphold the promise she made last week. Seeing Jasper that week made her really want to do something special for Sidney. Making her happy was her new way to get her endorphins pumping.

The doubt faded from the little girl's eyes as she looked back in the bags from Lowe's.

"We have four brushes," Sidney said, placing the paintbrushes on the island. "Is Esha and Lachlan coming?"

"No. I think they're busy." Tulip said, letting her braids down.

"But they're my friends," Sidney responded, standing up. "They'd want to help me with my room.

"Nah." Tulip refuted. She knew exactly what Neisha and Lachlan were up to after the soccer game and it wasn't something they'd cancel just to come paint and decorate a ten-year-olds room no matter how cute and charismatic she was. "I'm going to go change and then we can get started. Figure out what snack you want while I'm gone." She pointed to the bags on the island then climbed up the stairs.

"Yes, ma'am." Sidney nodded, but her eyes didn't go to the bags for a snack; they went to Tulip's phone sitting on the dining room table.

******

Tulip smirked, catching Sidney mocking her pose in her peripheral; tilting her head slightly with both hands on her waist as they both scrutinized the four strokes of blue on the wall. They hadn't been in the guest room that long. Although, they had accomplished a lot from the letting time they'd been wearing their decorator hats. The tape had been placed along the baseboards, outlets, and window sills and covered the wood floors with plastic. The dresser, bed, and armchair were pulled away from the wall with enough space for either one of them to slather paint on the off-white wall.

"Powder blue is pretty," Tulip stated, pointing her paintbrush damp with a different shade of blue at the color she suggested.

Sidney shook her head with a crinkle to her nose. "I'm not a baby. That color's for babies." She walked up to the wall and sat her finger next to the color she wanted. "I like this one. It looks like the sky. I love the sky and clouds. Can we draw clouds, too."

"I don't know about that." Tulip squatted down putting the lids back on the paint cans that Sidney hadn't picked. "Drawing isn't my specialty but I can't watch a YouTube video and we can both learn together."

Sidney nodded exuberantly, squatting next to the can filled with the paint color she adored. She plunged the brush in the paint and then asked. "Can I start now?"

"Yeah, but do it how I taught you." Tulip rested on her haunches as the girl swiped the brush over the edge of the can remove the excess before moving to the wall and starting at the baseboards. Tulip took a moment to revel in the fact that she had taught Sidney something and could witness her put it in action. No, it was walking or talking but it was still a lesson and who knew Sidney might grow up and be a painter one day and it all be because of her lesson.

A warmth of pride swelled in her chest until she scanned her eyes over the massive four walls. The guest room wasn't a small corner cut out in the house as an afterthought. I was an actual room with a closet and it's own personal bathroom.

Shit. Tulip thought she was starting to rethink her stance on not interrupting Neisha and Lachlan's evening then the doorbell rang.

"Who's that?" Tulip inquired, pushing herself upright. "Keep doing what you're doing. I'll be right back."

Sidney nodded, not missing a beat with her even, smooth strokes. The ten-year-old had precision. Maybe she would be a good painter. No, artist. She'd have paintings hung in galleries from New York to Paris. Tulip stopped dreaming about the bright future her Sidney could have from the one lesson she taught her as she neared the front door.

"Who is it?" Tulip asked.

"It's Jasper." He said with elation.

Tulip slid back from the door. "What the fuck?"

Why do you think Jasper is at Tulip's door?

If you could paint your bedroom walls any color, what color would it be?

Will Tulip let Jasper in? Would you?

Do you think Sidney's right, that Neisha and Lachlan would want to come paint?