Chapter Forty-Four

"Let me start," William proclaimed once he had Tulip outside. Eucalyptus Lane was a symphony of weekend rituals; the hum of a lawnmower from two doors down, music flinted through the hot humid air as water splattered against the body of a soapy sedan, and a couple of teenagers whizzed by on their bikes in search of the meeting spot of the afternoon.

Tulip gave him a short nod, her hands deep in the pockets of her favorite denim shorts that were once her favorite jeans. His stance was almost identical to hers but his hands were rooted in his back pockets.

The corner of Will's mouth ticked up before his lips parted. "I shouldn't have done that. It was wrong. I apologize. It's just when someone hurts you. I get mad."

Tulip's eyebrows shot up knowing those last words were an understatement. Will didn't just get mad. He was triple that, she always thought it was one measure for each of their parents and another for himself. She knew he couldn't see it now but it was the reason she didn't tell him about everything all those years ago and she didn't think her choice was wrong. He would've transferred colleges to be by her side; care for her and be mom, dad, and brother. She didn't want that. She wanted him to live his life without the burden of looking out for her. He'd done that since childhood.

"I can take care of myself." Tulip declared, lifting her heels from the crisp grass. Her soles pleaded to be back on the warm surface still sore from the stilettos she paraded in the other day while overseeing a work function. "I didn't want to bring this up but I handled Marquis. I can handle Jasper."

Will tsked. "By handle do you mean touting a hot pink cast for four months?"

Tulip flexed her fingers with a smirk, remembering how satisfying it was to punch the boulder-faced boy in the high school parking lot. "He didn't slap my ass again."

"His jaw broke your hand." Will refuted.

"And the concrete broke his fall." She confidently folded her arms as the sun's rays kissed her brown skin. "What I'm saying is I can defend myself and take care of my issues as I did then. I don't need protection."

"Protecting you is my duty."

"Okay, Lancelot." She quipped.

Will shrugged nonchalantly, "Call me what you want. I'm always going to have your back and fight for you. It's part of the deal when I was born first and you second."

She rolled her eyes hard feigning annoyance at his words but actually, warmth and adoration swarmed in her chest making it hard for her to fight back the smile that yearned to glow.

"William Deion Carpenter." She sang his entire government name creating a silent laugh in him. "I'm trying to be an Independent Woman, here."

"You're independent." He glanced at the brick exterior of her two-story house then turned back to her. "But you're not alone. I got your back little sis. So, stop trying to tackle big shit by your-damn-self. Understand?"

She sighed loudly. "Yes, father."

"I'll take it." He stepped forward and pulled her in a big embrace with one arm.

She snaked both her arms around him remembering those days of old when she sought the very protection and help in him that she was trying so hard not to need.

He squeezed her, placed a kiss on the top of her head, and released her. "What did I walk in on? I feel like you didn't tell me everything that went on between the two of you and that's fine. It's not my business. I don't need all the details but when you spoke his name as you told me about what happened you seemed to hurt. Just don't get hurt again."