Chapter Forty-One

The tears that streamed from Tulip's face around 7 a.m. weren't a complete surprise. Austin's morning text was absent from her cell screen that morning. The morning text that she looked forward to every morning and crafted a smile onto her fresh face before she tasted that first robust bold sip of coffee. Was she heartbroken? That would be an exaggeration, although she was fond of Austin. She was going to miss him and the sweet things he brought into her life.

She wiped her tears, wrapped up her braids, and took a long shower. As the steam enveloped her she decided Sunday's plan would be Saturday's to-do. Tulip's Feel Good Playlist flowed oldies through the house as she tossed Monday's leftovers and Wednesday's takeout. She nibbled on the oxtail egg rolls, which were still good as she chunked the condiment jars on the door that were only one-fourth full and taking up space. Once Sidney skipped into the room, out of her pj's in one of her favorite dresses whirled out as she spun, Tulip knew cereal was going to be for breakfast. There was no way she was going to dirty up the kitchen that now gleamed so much Mr. Clean's eyes would fill with happy tears.

Honey-nut Cheerios was the cousin to oatmeal, anyway. Right? Well, Tulip thought so and that's what mattered. As soon as the spoons clacked the bottom of the empty bowls, they were washed and placed onto the self as if they'd never left. With full bellies, both of them attacked the living room. Dust was banished, disarray abolished and pillows were puffed to perfection. The constant moving burned the fuel they consumed that morning so they took a break to eat chips and salsa and revel in their work.

"What are those?" Sidney asked, pointing to the crate sitting in the corner of the living room.

Tulip's eyes didn't leave the bowl on the coffee table. She submerged her chip into the pool of warm spicy queso not needing to turn sight that way to know just what Sidney was asking about.

"Those are records." Tulip slid the chip across the edge of the bowl removing the excess. "Albums. They're my parents. Some of them. My brother has the rest since he's the oldest and has something to play them on."

"What are records?" Sidney asked, leaning closer to the coffee table with more confusion on her face.

Tulip chuckled as she crunched the cheesy chip in her mouth realizing that the child of hers was growing up in a world of streaming and downloading. She was privy to a life of cassette tapes and CDs. Tulip cast the thoughts of enduring songs that skipped from scratches on the CD and readjusting the tape back into the cassette was a pencil as she pulled an album from the crate she picked up at the Container Store years ago.

"You remember those CDs you found in my car," Tulip said, reclaiming her seat on the floor. Sidney nodded, a smile spread across her face since she was probably also remembering the twenty dollars she also discovered in the glove box, also. Tulip still didn't know how the money got there but she let the girl keep the treasure.

Tulip continued. "Well, vinyl records are like giant CDs that was how my parents listened to their music. I mean, there's also 8-tracks but we don't need to cover that 'cause I ain't got any of those." Her Mississippi accent almost squeaked through a little more and Sidney scooted closer to her to take a more in-depth look at the object in her hand.

"Who is Earth, Wind, & Fire?" Sidney asked, glossing her eyes over the men. "Are they superheroes like The Avengers?"

Tulip guffawed. "No, they're not Avengers but what they did with music was superhuman."

"My grandparents are dead, too." Sidney slid her hand over the glossy cover that was still in pristine condition.

The humor drained from Tulip leaving behind an emptiness that lingered until Sidney's big brown eyes set on her. "They are but they're right here." She placed her hand over her heart. "They're always right here and so is your mom." She pointed to the little girl's heart. "We carry those we love wherever you go."