Chapter Twenty-Nine

Tulip was learning all about a new trait she was starting to develop; doing what's best for Sidney even though it wasn't fun for her. Did Tulip like cooking five out of seven days? No. But she did it because Sidney needed to have healthy, balanced meals. Did Tulip like fixing hair every morning? No, it's why she loved braids and other protective styles. But Sidney couldn't dot the door with her edges wild and her curls tangled. Did Tulip like having to designate her entire Friday evening to do laundry? No. But buying Sidney a new wardrobe every week wasn't going to work with her monthly budget even if she had enough spare change in her bank account.

And thus, Tulip did it again. She swallowed the uneasy anxiety and frustration teeming within her and invited Jasper into her home. She took a backseat as she watched Jasper show Sidney how to use the roller and paint the walls evenly; a task which he did in French. The entire time they spoke in French and Sidney loved it. It was one of the reasons Tulip didn't protest. Plus, it gave her an excuse to not engage with him. Tulip wasn't just fuming and painting. Fine. She spent the first thirty-something minutes cursing him out in her mind and visualizing dumping a can of paint over him—staining moisturized curls, pristine polo shirt, and slacks but then she started thinking of punishments for the little curious one.

Tulip remembered the punishment of her youth; going out to the backyard, snapping a small, thin branch from a bush, and taking it to her Granny free of all its leaves to get a spanking with. But Tulip hated that sort of punishment. Each step in the process wrecked her with trepidation that even to this day she scoffs at shrubbery. No, corporal punishment was out of the question plus Sidney was too smart to just result in something so basic. No. Tulip had something better in store for the little rascal and it was going to get her hands dirty.

Yep. It was time for the ten-year-old to fully leave her old fancy life of maids and butlers behind and become acquainted with chores. Tulip had been doing all of the tidying by herself although Sidney wasn't Taz she needed to learn more than fixing her bed every morning. Tulip ran down a list of chores she could give Sidney; Swiffer the wood floors, clean her bathroom, unload the dishwasher change her linen, and fold laundry. A smirk etched its way across Tulip's face as she watched the little one giggling at something Jasper said not knowing what was in store for her tomorrow.

"MeMe?" Sidney switched back to English after going on and on in French with Jasper for over thirty minutes. "How long are you going to hate Mr. Young?"

Tulip stopped mid-stroke. "I don't—" She paused as Sidney gave her that 'I know you're lying' look and she decided to rework her statement to be more truthful. "I'm not fond of Mr. Young." She glanced his way as she continued to finish up his section of the wall. "We have a history that's not fun for me to relive."

Sidney's eyebrows furrowed as she listened to what Tulip was saying then she turned to Jasper with narrowed eyes. "Did you hurt MeMe? Is that why she loathes you." She looked back at Tulip. "Mama said it's wrong to hate people but loathing them is tolerated."

She brimmed a smile that made Tulip do the same. Tulip locked eyes with Jasper as he smirked at the glee on her face and it quickly drained all her elation. They were thinking the same thought; one of pride and delight at the little human they created. Sidney was smart and inquisitive. Kind and thoughtful; and though they didn't have much to do with raising her they did supply Amelia with a baby that had the traits and raw abilities to be the kid she was today. Tulip wasn't the biggest fan of Jasper but she could admit that he was smart, hardworking, persistent, and could be thoughtful even though he did have flaws. She did know he could be a good person. Granted she did fall in love with him once.

"If your MeMe hates me, her feelings would be valid," Jasper said, turning away from the wall. Blue paint sprinkled on his socks as he did a poor job of securing the roller in the pan too busy matching his gaze with Tulip. "What I did to her was unforgivable and I'd apologize how many times she wants me to because I know it was wrong."

"What did you do?" Sidney asked, standing in front of Tulip as if she was the older woman's shield.

He looked to Tulip as if asking for permission. Tulip nodded for him to go on; he was the one that bounced over to her house eager to meet Sidney before she could have the conversation with her so he could do the honors.

"I..." He knelt getting eye level with the little girl as she held the long-sticked roller at her side like it was a staff. "When you were in MeMe's stomach and ready to come out and see the world I left."

Sidney stepped back, chipping away at some of the space between her and Tulip. "You left us." She started to take quick breaths as her eyes grew misty. Tulip pulled her close with a comforting arm draped across her body. "Did you not love us? Mama told me by birth parents loved me even though they couldn't take care of me but—"

Her voice went silent but Tulip heard the faint sniffles. Sidney was crying and so was Tulip.

"Everything your Mama told you was true." Jasper closed the space between him and the two of them. He took each of Sidney's hands in his. "You were loved. You are loved. I wanted you so mad it hurt everything in my body knowing I...we can't provide for you. A joy filled me the day your mom told me she was pregnant and nothing has come close to it... I loved you instantly even though I knew it wasn't the right time. I love both of you. I never stopped." He glanced up at Tulip and she quickly looked away. "I have a lot to make up for, I know that but I will make up for it." He looked at Tulip. "I will."

"Prove it." Tulip immediately tossed back. "Trust is earned."

He wiped the tears from Sidney's eyes and then stood. "I'll earn it."

Tulip rolled her eyes and then dried her face. She didn't believe a word he just uttered. Not one syllable even though her heart yearned for it all to be true. She wondered if that made her weak.

Is the punishment that Tulip has in a mind a good one?

Jasper said he loves both of them, what do you think that means?

Do you think that it makes Tulip weak for hoping Jasper can prove her doubts wrong? 

Will they be able to get it together?