Chapter Twenty-Eight

Tulip balled her hands as she stepped away from the door. People showing up to her house without making a call, sending a text, or a Bat-signal was aggravating every one of her nerves. This was the third time someone had decided it was reasonable to just pop up on someone's porch without giving notice. It was more than rude, it was intrusive. This was her home and strangers just showing up out of the blue felt like an invasion of her personal life. A life Jasper Young hadn't been given permission to access.

Why was he even at her door? Did he become a stalker after leaving Prairie View for a different state school? A nugget he told her during their reconnect two weeks ago. He'd been contemplating transferring to Texas A&M because their agricultural program was more tailored to the skills he wanted to master. It was just something that he didn't share with her; along with his plan to disappear during her labor.

Another rap of knocks sounded against the door snatching her from her thoughts.

"Why are you here?" She shouted, even though the music streaming through the house wasn't that loud. She was introducing Sidney to girl groups of her youth, i.e the nineties. The songs supplied her with many warm tingly sensations as she reminisced on the tunes she listened to on her CD player. The fact that Sidney loved hearing her childhood stories made her feel even better. They were creating memories; memories just as important as the ones she had with Amelia.

"What do you mean?" He said. "You sent me a text."

"No. I didn't." She unlocked and opened the door to be greeted with the comforting redolence of his cologne and his cell phone. She quickly ran her eyes over the words 'paint party' followed by her address. "I didn't send you that."

She caught his sight drifting behind her so she stepped outside shutting the door. "You can go, now." She gestured to the new edition four-door pickup truck in the driveway, seeing that some of his taste were still the same.

Jasper glanced back at the black truck then back to her, "I'm already here." He looked as if he wanted to say more but the stoniness of Tulip's face removed his ability to speak.

"Look, you should've used common sense and knew I wasn't the one that sent you text." She slid her hands into the pockets of her faded cut-off denim shorts. "After a thirty-minute meeting, nonetheless."

"I thought you accepted my apology." He held up his phone that was as dark as the sky above them. "Forgave me and we're were working on—"

"We're working?" She repeated the words that offended her, folding her arms tightly over the threadbare concert t-shirt that had a few holes at the bottom. It was time for her to toss it but she loved it so much and the memories it came with. "I don't have anything to work on or prove. I didn't do anything to you. I didn't make you feel less than or powerless. You're the one that broke your promise, my trust so why would I trust you with my daughter."

"Our daughter." He corrected.

Tulip shook her head then said. "If she was 'ours' you would've been present when she was born."

He took a step back as if those words were a physical blow. A statement with the force of one of Mike Tyson's punches. He peered at her taken aback then sadness drowned his features but Tulip wasn't phased. Was she supposed to be? Sure, you should never want to maliciously hurt someone's feelings but she wasn't being malicious. She was being straight up honest. Yes, it was blunt but why fake it when you could be real. She didn't have the time, energy, or patience to be surface-level nice to Jasper. He'd run out of chances seven years ago.

Tulip wasn't a cold, heartless person. She knew the situation they placed themselves in ten years ago was a tough one. Getting pregnant at nineteen without the means isn't ideal but she thought they had each other. She thought they had a love that was stronger than any circumstance thrown their way. Sure, their relationship was fairly new but they're communication was smooth like butterscotch and they're connection was instant. If he was standing on her porch seven years ago she would've felt a twinge of pain seeing the hurt in his eyes. But not now. Now, she knew words were useless without follow through.

"And I'm sorry." He said after a long moment of silence. "I've apologized. You said you forgave me."

"I did." She shrugged, emotionless. It was the truth. She had forgiven him when he spoke the words to her days back. An apology was all she wanted from him; an acknowledgment that what he did was wrong but he was asking to be in her and Sidney's life. To have access to Sidney he had to do more than voice words. He had to show actions. "But you just can't flake then waltz back into my life; into our life. Sidney is still grappling with the death of her mom. I can't bring her birth dad in her life just because he resurfaced."

"Just tell her..." He fanned his hands aimlessly as he thought. "That I'm a friend. A family friend."

"So...lie." Tulip scowled at him. "You want me to lie to her. No. I'm not doing that. You're just going to have to wait."

The door swung open behind her, "MeMe—" Sidney's went silent as she took in the sight of the man. "Are you my dad?"

"Sidney." Tulip croaked. "Why would...how...what?" She tried to get her words out but the shock discombobulated her mind that was firing at a rapid speed not knowing which question she wanted to get out first.

"MeMe, you talk loud," Sidney smirked. "Are you mad at me?"

"Yes." Tulip faced her completely. "I'm mad as hell. Why would you go on my phone and text someone without permission?"

"Because." Sidney's face went soft and her eyes misty. "I wanted to see...if..." She paused, took a deep breath. "I was curious." The tears finally overflowed and tickled her face. "Please don't send me away. I want to finish my room."

"Never." Tulip pulled Sidney into her side and held her tight. "You're stuck with me but you are in trouble."

Sidney sighed silently as she wrapped her arms around Tulip then she set her eyes upon Jasper. "Hi!"

"Hi?" Tulip broke in before Jasper could speak. "Why does he get English? Where's the French?"

Sidney snickered, hugging Tulip tighter. "Salut."

Tulip smiled.

"Bonsoir." Jasper said with ease. "Ravi de vous avoir rencontré."

Tulip sneered at him. Ain't this some shit. Of course, he knows French, too. She wondered what else he knew since the last time she saw him.

"Can he paint with us, MeMe?" Sidney asked looking up at her with those big brown eyes that made it difficult for her to say no but this time she was giving a request that came with sour feelings. Jasper was the least favorite person in the world and she met a lot of people she couldn't stand over the span of years since the last time they met. This time she might have to give Sidney a two-letter answer. 

Do you think Tulip should allow Jasper to paint with them?

What do you think Sidney's punishment will be for sending texts on Tulip's phone without permission?

Why do you think Sidney thought Tulip would send her away? 

Why do you think Sidney spoke to Jasper in English?