Chapter Thirty-Seven

Tulip wasn't going to jump the gun and say she was falling in love but she was most definitely happy. As soon as they dipped out of the museum things took a quick turn around. Ax-throwing was more fun than she expected especially when it woke up the competitive nature of hers that always woke from its slumber during soccer games or a round of Spades. She let out her inner Ragnar and flung the blade into the wooden so many times that she ran the risk of having a sore shoulder and elbow. However, as she stood on her doorstep, she felt no pain. Only contentment and elation visited her as she melted in a steamy kiss.

Austin's lips were more delicious than the nachos they devoured before going ax-throwing and sweeter than those slices of lemon pound cake and pecan buttermilk cake seen inhaled after. Her stomach was full and her heart was filling as she gripped her arms tighter around her neck melding her body as close to him wishing she could feel more than the hard outline of his member through his slacks.

She let out a low moan and then pulled away from him with her eyes still closer savoring the taste of him as the moonlight gleamed overhead. His warm fingertips on the visible skin of her waist kept the desire for more hovering in her head. She wanted to lead him inside and give their date an explosive finish but that wasn't an option. Her eyes fluttered open and his heavy-lidded and dilated pupils told her he wished the same.

"Well, this is..." She slid her hands across his hands before peeling them off her waist. "Was the best date I've had in a while."

"Oh." His smile morphed into a grin as he slipped one of his hands-free of hers to slink it around her waist and pull her back against her body. "Does that mean we're going to do it again?"

"The probability of that is extremely high." She giggled as he peppered kisses along her neck. "Very high."

His kisses left her jaw and sought the orifices it was in search of. Their mouths resume the dance they perfected throughout a couple of months but unfortunately, her moan was cut short by the opening of the front door. Jasper's appearance with a glass of icy cold water that yanked her out of her horny high. She broke from Austin's embrace like a teenager who had just been caught by a parent with a boy in her room with the door closed.

"You're late," Jasper said, his sight solely trained on Tulip.

"Shit!" Tulip cursed glancing down at her watch forgetting the notion of time once she unplugged from the world. The watch blared back a time that twisted her insides. 12:02. "Fuck, it's midnight." She hustled in the house.

Jasper shut the door behind her bidding Austin goodnight was a curt nod. He locked the door and turned to her as she fumbled trying to quickly get rid of her feet of the strappy sandals. Lines formed between his eyebrows as he folded his arms and let out the words that would utterly yank Tulip from the serenity she resided in. "What the hell is wrong with?"

"Excuse me." Tulip blinked up at him, no longer able to enjoy the cool wood floor against the soles of her bare feet.

"It's two hours past ten." He pointed to her watch. "Did the battery die? Did you forget? What? What is it?"

Tulip looked dazzlingly around at her surroundings. She must be in the wrong place. In the wrong dimension but once she clarified that she was indeed in her house during the correct existence her happiness was replaced with indignation.

"I lost track of time." Her wrist felt heavy with the gold link watch around it as it lingered by her side. "Although I don't need to explain myself to you."

He humphed. "I guess you don't."

"You guess right." She quickly rolled her eyes at him and then turned back towards the hallway heading towards Sidney's room but her footsteps were halted by Jasper sliding into her path. "What are you doing? Move."