Chapter Twenty

What do ice cream, doughnuts, and sliders have in common? Paisley, a seven months pregnant ex-marine that stood five-feet high with a massive personality. Maybe that's why Tulip let her have her pink on pink theme without putting in her creative input and persuasive jargon to get her to pick another color from the palette. She even tied it with the party slogan that was scribed in bubble letters on a banner over the dessert table where Tulip and Neisha stood; Made of Pink Sprinkles and Scoops of Love.

Tulip came up with it on the fly while she and Sidney were shopping for camping supplies. Most of Paisley's party was put together with ease. Tulip could throw a baby shower together without accumulating an ounce of worry. She and Neisha had put together more than their share of baby parties that they already had everyone they needed on speed dial and some leftover decorations in the storage room. It was an easy win and after the week she had, easy was very much welcomed.

"What did the lawyer say?" Niesha asked, once the shaggy-headed man had finally left the food table after putting them through a battery of questions pertaining to calories and fat counts. It was doughnuts and ice cream. Don't count. Just eat. Even though that was what Niesha wanted to say she just steered him to the dairy-free options and baked doughnuts. "Mrs. Clark's son-in-law, right?"

"Yeah, Xavier." Tulip said, glanced down at her watch wondering what was taking Lachlan so long. "He read over the paperwork that I stupidly signed."

"Stop." Neisha nudged her arm with her elbow. "You were eager. No verbal-flogging in my sight or ever. You were just eager. What else were you going to do. Not sign them."

Tulip nodded knowing her friend was right. Her eyes were trained on Paisley as she put on a show opening up her shower gifts wondering what her shower would be like if she had had one all those years ago. It wouldn't be as chic and pleasurable. Her client picked the colors that pleased her. Paisley loved pink. She and her partner chose to have the baby's gender as a surprise. She chose the food she had been craving. Ham and cheese sliders with pickle relish wasn't on the menu. Tulip had to talk the caterer into doing the vet a favor.

Most importantly, all the guests in attendance dining their pinkish attire were ecstatic for the woman that had finally gotten her happy after coming back from the battlefield to physical therapy and a titanium leg. The laughter swelled in the backyard and smiles consumed every face. Tulip knew she would be faced with the same sentiment.

"Here, eat this." Niesha handed her a red velvet doughnut. "Sugar makes everything better."

Tulip took a bite out of the doughnut as suavely as possible without getting frosting on her mouth. The sugar seeped on her tongue and the moist dough was heaven in her mouth. It almost absolved the bad news she learned during her meeting with Xavier.

She swallowed and told her. "Apparently, the guardianship contract or paperwork I signed had a clause." She didn't remember the exact word he used from being his swanky desk. She just sunk back in the leather chair drained of happiness realizing Irvine was telling the truth. "There's a six month grace period where everything I do will be supervised and if I screw up my custody can be revoked."

"What does everything include?" Neisha asked, dumping more ice around the tins of ice cream as the summer heat steamed around them.

"It includes everything?" Tulip broke the doughnut in half and gave Neisha part. Eating at a client's party wasn't frowned upon but they never wanted to taste too much. "Housing. She had to be in the best neighborhoods. The right school. Her grades will be scrutinized. If she gets a 'C'." She slid her hand horizontally across her throat. "This experiment will be over."

"Tough." Niesha said, putting a morsel of dough in her mouth. "Is that why you sat Austin's flowers in the furthest corner of the shop?"

She shrugged, it was part of the reason but not all. "I don't need a random to be the reason I lose my daughter...I mean...Sidney." She shook her head at the slip she kept making but it was hard since she and the little one were getting so close.