20|| "The In Between Life"

Octavia's guide to the hell that is the English language

NINE TO FIVE
/nīn to fīv/

(n.) A term used to describe a normal and routine job, sometimes boring and unfulfilling.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"What do you mean you 'don't care'?" Octavia asked angrily as she paced the tiles of the coffee shop floor.

It was after hours when she forcefully entered her way into the old cafe she once loved. She knew Christian would be there and it was the perfect time to ask him what the hell was going on, because she sure didn't know.

"Can you stop giving me the 3rd degree now. I don't care about the article. It happened. I'm over it." He fought back wiping the counter down very aggressively.

"That's what I don't understand. This girl took private information and broadcasted it to people who have no idea what they're reading. Half the stuff she wrote doesn't even make sense."

"I don't care because there's nothing I can do about it. It happened, what am I supposed to do, email her? It's not gonna change anything."

"How are you so calm about this? She used you, Christian. Is something not clicking?"

"I'm calm because it's not that big of a deal. The information was going to get out anyway." He shrugged and slung the rag over his shoulder.

"But it is Christian! It is a very very big deal." She nearly shouted at him.

"Why, because she's wrong or because you don't want them to find out? What are you hiding Octavia?"

"Why must you be so philosophical with your questions. Of course she's wrong, I don't plan on dating Joe or anyone at all anytime soon. And I told you, I'm done hiding stuff. I don't care what you think about mine and Joe's friendship and I sure as hell don't care what Blaire Lewis has to say about it either. And you are absolutely no help because you're numb to society." She huffed, crossed her arms, and turned her back to Christian.

"I'm numb to society because everything is fake. Tell me Octavia, have you even felt alive since 2012?" He leaned just elbows on the counter.

"Oh what, like when the world was supposed to end?" She gave him a funny look.

"All I'm saying is, you're complaining about life, again, but are we sure we're even alive? I mean you would've been 19, 20 in 2012, and you can't tell me everything hasn't felt numb since then."

Without all of the superstitious bullshit Christian was saying, he did have a point. 19 and 20 was about her peak, and then it went downhill when her sister died and then Ethan ruined everything of course. But she still had good things like Amelia, Gwil, and the college courses she decided to take a break from, if that was even possible. Maybe the world did end in 2012, and now she was just in hell.

"Call me Christian when you get a brain, we'll talk then." She picked up her things and headed for the doors.

"Hey I thought we were supposed to be friends."

"We are. You just need to get your head straight." She shrugged and out the doors she went.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~