A Game Of Chess

Nikki's POV

I study the chess board. Then make my move.

"You learn fast Nikki." Jason chuckles as he scrutinizes the board. "My father used to tell me every Alpha should learn chess. It's good for the mind." He gives me a smirk.

"I'm not an Alpha of a pack." I laugh.

"You are an Alpha. We are born. That's why children are so important to an Alpha. We have a higher chance of producing one. They have the voice, Strength of character and body, a natural confidence. You really caught Jake off guard using the voice."

"Why's that." I grin and watch Jason make his next move.

"Not common among hybrids not even ones from an Alpha line." He answers.

"Are you Jake's second?" I ask curious.

"No his bothers are his betas. I'm an Elder." He answers. As I make my next move I realize to late he has set me up. He laughs.

"Checkmate. Want to play again?"

"Sure why not." I grin and sigh.

"You know the voice works on human woman too." He comments.

"Yeah so." I cock my head.

"You could use it to smooth things over with your first woman." He grins mischievously.

"Wouldn't that be manipulative?" I laugh. "I couldn't."

"It's not manipulation if you tell her you love her with the voice and you mean it." He chuckles."

I just realize how he referred to my wife.

"What did you mean by first Woman?" I ask concerned.

Jason's amber eyes glow suddenly with rage.

"You marked Nicole by now the bite has healed into a red scar she will bare for life. She is yours whether you want her or not." He growls low. You better treat her with the respect she is do!" His voice raised. His hand comes down hard on the table.

"I have a deep respect for Nicole. She is amazing." I respond immediately surprised by his sudden outburst. I lower my head in submission hoping to calm him. I hate that I've come between Jason and Nicole.

"I'm sorry." He whispers. "You weren't raised as one of us."

"It's ok Jason. I know you love her." I say softly.

Looking away from him. I see Courtney. She has tears in her eyes. It doesn't matter that I did it by instinct or in ignorance. I've hurt so many people. She doesn't run this time. She comes and sits by my side drying her tears on her sleeve. A few pack members have turned to us but go back to their own activities quickly. Maybe I should just take my family home and deal with this change on our own. I need to make it right with Courtney if I can.

"Excuse me Miss Courtney. I need to talk to you." Nyx joins our group.

"About what?" Courtney answers politely.

"Well about you being human and him a hybrid." She answers.

"What do I need to know?" Courtney asks.

"The first thing to know is that birth control is now completely up to you. Surgery is no longer an option. His body would just reverse it. If you do decide to have another child know that it's hard for human woman to carry a hybrid. It needs to be planned for. I'll be glad to offer my services as a healer and midwife. Second is Ruby she's gotten very comfortable showing off her wolfie side. Nikki will have to make it a command not to in front of strangers. It's up to you both to keep our secret. Third is your family might not be finished with the change. There is a chance they will make the complete shift even Ruby. Can you handle this." Nyx stops and studies Courtney intently.

"Yes I can handle it." She answers without any doubt in her voice.

"Good," Nyx gives Courtney's hand a squeeze.

"Look who escaped her dad." Nicole comes out the door smiling, her granddaughter in her arms.

"Lily come to grandpa." Jason holds out his arms. The Little girl leaps to him. In the process snags Nicole's shirt exposing the bite scar. She tries to cover but it's to late. Everyone stops and stares. One of the woman I didn't recognize sneers.

"Oh just wait till I tell my father you're marked. I heard about last night too breeders have no control especially black furred runts." She spits.

"I'll show you black furred runt!" Nyx explodes into her wolf form and leaps for the woman. They fall together hitting the ground all teeth and claws. Jason presses his grandbaby into my arms as him and Nicole try to break up the fight. Jake and Sean come racing from the woods. Between the four they finally part the two snarling females. Sean holds his mate tightly in his arms. Jake orders everyone to be calm. It quiets immediately.

"What is going on here?" He bellows.

"I'm sorry Alpha. She was bad mouthing my mother. I lost control." Nyx whispers and stares at her feet. He looks at Nicole and sees the scar. He looks at me and groans.

"Ok shows over." Everyone quickly finds something else to do.

"I'm gonna tell my father everything." The girl glares.

"I'm sure you will Mindy." Jake sighs. "You're here to learn our histories from Elder Victor. I think you should get back to it. Come." He beckons to the rest of us.

Once we're seated in his home he gets right to the point.

"Why wasn't I told? The Council and the LA pack are going to have a fit over this. A breeder claimed as a mate. Reparations will have to be made now not just to the pack she was being sent to but to the packs as a whole. She's a breeder she belongs to the packs not just to one male!" He paces back and forth in agitation.

"I'm not your responsibility Jason. You don't have to make up for my broken promises." Nicole insists. He stops in front of her pulls her to her feet and into his arms.

"I took responsibility for you years ago in front of the Council so you could rest here between pregnancies. It was my decision. Even with this I have no regrets."

"I didn't know you spoke for me." She whispers. I can see her struggle to submit. She finally tips her head to the side exposing her throat. He takes her flesh between his teeth gently.

"Shouldn't it be me taking responsibility." I ask guiltily.

"Normally yes but they are going to want flesh for flesh. Your daughters are not prepared for this. So as her Alpha I will offer one of mine instead." He sighs sadly.

"Who?" Nicole groans.

"My daughter Taya." He answers.

"No Jake you can't she doesn't even have a taste for men!" Nicole cries.

"I'm not forcing her she came to me. The council has been pushing me for years for her to take a male mate. It will only be once. I'll insist for the run to be on our territory. She wants children. It should satisfy both the council and Damon for awhile. It will give you time to carry and give birth." He says his words soft.

"I might not be pregnant." Nicole sighs.

I'm not going to bet on that one. You are our best breeder You've never failed to conceive." Jason chuckles and hugs her tightly.

I feel sick. This is a debt I can never repay. Jake is giving up one of his treasures to protect mine.