Promises To Keep

Nikki's POV

I kicked Tom out of mine and Courtney's room. I needed to be away from Nicole so I could think. Nicole and the babies are safe. It's time I keep my promise to my wife. I'm going to take her and Ruby home tomorrow. Maybe I'll take her on a vacation. I groan. I didn't expect all these emotions. I didn't think Nicole would fall in love with me. It was painful for me to watch her say goodbye to her younger children this morning. I don't know how she keeps it together. It will be another year before she will see them again. I roll to my back and stare at the ceiling. I found out why Lance and Jarl were still here. They were arranging her next breeding. She hasn't even given birth to our cubs and they want her to carry more. She doesn't get a say either. She won't know what pack till it's time. I'm angry they don't want to give her anytime to rest between pregnancies. I roll to my side and pull Courtney close. I remind myself for what feels like the hundredth time she's not mine. She belongs with Jason, So does Yennefer. I haven't taken any vows or made any promises, why do I feel like shit for planning to leave tomorrow. I did what I said I would.

Jason's POV

Nikki told us he's leaving tomorrow. He's going home. They may even go away for awhile. Nicole held it together. Now she lays between me and her sister. Even after I eased her into sleep with the voice. She is still restless. She whimpers. I pull her tight. It hurts to know I'm not the one she wants. I understand though. The mating bond is strong it can make you need someone and only them. It can't make you love, so I know her love for the both of us is real. It confuses her. Having multiple mates isn't our norm. It's done for survival. I'm not saying our union is unheard of. It's usually between two well established couples when an unexpected heat causes an unplanned pregnancy. They join to care for the babies. Nikki has made a similar agreement with Tom. No man wants to loose a mate to heat because he's not there. The mating bond is usually tempered by the love They already have with their mate. Nicole had just finally given herself permission to love. Then you throw Yennefer in. She needs us too. Now it's just a confused mess, so much guilt over loving each other. As hard as it is to live together, I worry about this separation. What it will do to both Nikki and Nicole. I close my eyes and try to sleep. I need it for tomorrow.

Nikki's POV

I wake alone. Courtney is already out of bed. I hear the cubs playing in the Living room. From the sound they are in wolf form. I hear Tom yip at them playfully. Nicole and Jason chat in the kitchen. Courtney and Yennefer are on the front porch drinking coffee. I listen to the happy sounds for the moment knowing I'm about to bring them to a halt. I sigh. I get out of bed and dress. Courtney has already packed our things for an early departure. I look at the luggage and wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Then I leave the bedroom. Tom makes eye contact with me his eyes glow and he snarls. Well now I know his opinion of me this morning. He goes back to playing with the cubs. Ruby grabs a hold of his ear with her baby teeth. He just pulls her away with his paws. He rolls her to her back and pokes her tummy with his paw. She makes a yip like sound that is her wolfie giggle. Ruby wiggles free of Toms paw and races to me placing her paws on my leg begging to be picked up. Picking her up I nuzzle her white fur. I look at her happy expression and kiss her muzzle. I hate the fact when we leave here I'm going to have to lock away her little wolf. She has gotten so use to shifting as she pleases. I asked Jason how. He told me how and also offered to do it for me. I told him no. I'm her father it's my decision to leave and it's me that has to do the dirty deed. Looking into my little girl's happy blue eyes I feel horrid. It's not going to get any easier for anyone by stalling.

"Courtney are you ready?" I call.

"All I need to do is dress Ruby." she answers her eyes lowered.

"Be a good girl for your Mama Ok." I urge.

She sends me an image of her playing with the other cubs. "Puppies." The word appears in my mind.

"Ruby." I say in a sterner voice. She mopes but shifts. Courtney takes her to get dressed. Jason helps me take the luggage to the vehicle. Tom just lounges on the porch in wolf form giving me filthy looks.

The whole pack gathers to say goodbye. I look at all their faces. They are all my family. I'm going to miss them when I'm away.

"Take good care of her while I'm away Jason." I take his hand gripping it tight.

"You Know I will." he answers. I glance at Nicole. I really wanted to talk to her alone but she has avoided the possibility.

"Nicole I'll be back before you go to den. I promise." I tug her close. Her belly is so round. I can feel the cubs move inside her. It's so hard to pull away.

"I know you will. I...I will miss you so much." She whispers. Looking into her eyes I see the tears she is holding back. I force myself to let her loose. I hug everyone before I get into my pick up. I start it up and leave down the dirt road. Reaching over I take Courtney's hand giving it a gentle squeeze. Maybe once I'm gone she will turn to Jason. I need to nurture my marriage with my wife too. It's better this way. When I come back. I'll just stay for her denning and the birth of our cubs. Then I'll keep my distance from Nicole, Jason, and Yennefer. Jason and I have already spoken of my financial and pack obligation to my cubs so that's been settled. I just need to let them be a family now.

I sigh. I'm miles from the pack. Closer to my normal life. Then I hear it a pain stricken howl. It's Nicole. It goes to my heart and shatters it.

The End