Of Wolves And Lambs

Nikki's POV 

"There are berserkers in the packs?" I ask Yennefer.

"Ask Jason." she answers and trots off to her van. I look to Jason for an explanation he wears a look of shame, but he answers.

"They were those who became so enraged by loss of mate and cubs that they could no longer make the complete transformation. I was one. We were vicious able to lay waste to our enemies. We always led the charge. Not a one of us cared that we were fodder for bullets. The ones that survived still bare the scars mental and physical. It took a long time for the rage to die. It was Nicole's touch and her gift of cubs that finally ended the burn for me." he goes quiet.

"When Jake said malcontents I thought only of the troublemakers without mates. I thought most all the berserkers were dead except for those few left among the packs. This changes things." Lance sighs heavily.

"How many do you think he has?" Victor asks.

"Six. One of them he called Grandfather." Yennefer answers as she rejoins the group in human form.

"Grandfather huh. Nicole What do you remember of Branda? You were one of the few she would speak with when she first showed up at that spring gather." Lance questions.

"To be honest not much. She wouldn't tell me who her father or mother was when I treated her injuries from her supposed fall. I figured she was a runaway. The one thing she did tell was that she was twelve so When she came into heat that night I offered her the choice of the shot or the pill. She said the shot frightened her. I gave her the pill. I found it the next day. She had spit it on the floor." The look on Nicole's face is one of remorse.

"So her pregnancy wasn't an accident and Liam the gentleman that he was took responsibility. He took her as his life mate." Victor comments.

"Yes I knew Liam would treat her right. I thought love would come in time. I had no Idea the little monster I had set lose on my friend." She moans softly and looks at her feet.

"Little monster you say. Is there more we should know Nicole?" Lance presses for more. Her lips are tightly closed. "You're hiding something. Come on girl I trust everyone here right now." he cajoles. I look around the only ones near are Elders and Pack Alphas. Adan and Ciel have returned they lost them and are pissed at their failure. They Join quietly and are caught up by Jason. We listen to Nicole go on with her side of it.

"Joel came to me after the boy was born and Liam's death. He was sure his son was murdered by the girl. He couldn't prove it. He just knew deep down something was wrong with them. She wouldn't allow a healer to examine the boy."

"He should have come to council. I would have helped him. The mother and child could have been scrutinized by the council and a healer." he huffs.

"How could he he loved his grandson." She continues to study her feet.

"Is there more?" the questions go on. Nicole looks to her grandmother. She nods her head yes.

"Joel asked for children. He knew I was coming into heat.  I consented. We mated and he left the next day. I never saw him again. He had an accident on the way home. He told me and my grandmother if he died to keep the cubs a secret." she confesses.

"So that was the sickness you came down with." Victor chuckles, then sighs. "You had us frightened to death girl."

"Are they here? We need to meet Joel's true heirs." Lances states.

"No you will not press one of my sons into challenging Damon. It's bad enough my mate Nikki has. I saw with my own eyes, felt with my own senses. He has no conscience, no empathy." she growls.

"She's right. My sons Joel, Ian and my grandson Liam were  seasoned warriors. You can't expect a boy to match him." A female Elder speaks up. "That child woman and boy killed them without a second thought. Ian as his uncle was only leading the pack till he matured. After his death I took Ian's boy and ran. I was afraid for him. I came to you and you all did nothing. Now Damon has gained strength and bit you in the ass." She scoffs. 

"I concur with Elder Woman Leona about the boys. This will be a group effort. As we have already decided. The packs will leave together leaving behind one hundred warriors hidden in the trees with Adan and Ciel leading. They know of ways to hide their presence. Of course the council will remain inside homes as guests. We still know how to fight. We wouldn't ask of others what we aren't willing to do ourselves. Nikki we need you to be prepared too. The plan will begin in a week. We want everyone ready." He finishes speaking and dismisses us.

Jason and I take our family home. The mood is subdued. Without thinking I made this challenge and the packs are expecting me to fight. But It's just now hitting me even after all my threats that if I fight Damon it's really going to be to the death. Yeah I'm freaked but I'm more afraid for my family if I lose. Jake has been training me to fight since I got here. He said I needed to be able to hold my own. Now Ciel and Adan have offered to spar with me. Why am I starting to feel like the lamb to slaughter. I try not to think about it as I help put the cubs to bed. It's impossible not to. I keep a smile on my face as I give out hugs to the babies who have decided to sleep together. Even the older girls have chosen to sleep in the nursery. Courtney has no complaint tonight about the sleeping arrangements. She's scared and tired. We cuddle together with our co-mates.

Waking I realize Nicole isn't in bed. I panic for a moment then I hear her in the kitchen. Getting up I head in that direction. I find Nicole in tears and shaking. I count in my head Nicole is now six weeks. Nyx has given me a crash course on What to expect with a female wolf expecting. Nicole can no longer shift. It makes them scared and insecure. I know that's not the only reason for the tears, but I figure I will start with that. Soon as she sees me she in my arms all I can do is hold her tight.

"I'm here Nicole. I'm not going to leave you alone." I whisper and kiss her wet cheeks. I hear a sound and glance up. It's Courtney I'm not sure of her reaction over me holding Nicole. She starts to cry and rushes to me wanting to be held. I kiss her lips and hold her too whispering that I love her. Then I hear another it's Yennefer. She's crying too. Now I have three tearful mates in my arms. I'm at a loss all I can do is hug, kiss and whisper that I love them. Moments later in comes Jason.

"What am I chopped liver." He huffs and crosses his arms.

"Awe what's wrong Jason do you need hugs and kisses too." I smirk. He chuckles and wraps his arms around all of us and smooches the girls. I'm not left out he gives me a wet one on my forehead. They start to giggle. I sigh. That sounds so much better than tears.