Tensions High

Nikki's POV

As the days drag by without any sign of Damon the packs are becoming restless. They are use to activity. They travel, hunt and run their territories. They visit other packs looking for mates. Being still is causing tempers to rise especially with so many packs gathered.

We walk towards the fire the council is holding another meeting. They have a plan hopefully to bring Damon out of hiding. Rank and status are important to the pack even among family members so as we approach Jason leads. I follow a step behind him followed by Nicole and Courtney side by side. Sirona Nicole's grandmother walks anywhere she likes. I'm finding having so many alpha personalities in one family is proving difficult. We're dealing with it.

"The Teton Range pack has such low standards. A black furred runt and another human! They shouldn't have any status." Selena hisses between her teeth. Nicole glares at her her eyes aglow. Her teeth show in a snarl. Selena's mates look shocked and ashamed at their mate's words.

"You doubt mine and my sister Courtney's status." Nicole growls.

I reach to hold Nicole back. Jason touches my shoulder and shakes his head no.

"This has been brewing for a long time. It's not about status. Selena still bares a grudge over Nicole breeding with her mates." He whispers.

"But Nicole is pregnant." I groan worriedly knowing this is gonna be a fight.

"So is Selena." He sighs.

I watch the amazon size female step forward.

"Yes I do." She spits out.

"Don't back down. I got this" I hear Nicole whisper to Courtney.
She steps in front of her.

"I'm descended from two alpha lines Lyall and Ulric and soon to be mated to two alpha males of Rafe and Lykaon lines. I'm a trained healer. I've given my first years in service to the packs as a breeder." She states proudly. "I find your words insulting."

"You are an insult to your lineage that should have been left exposed to die." Selena spits out.

"Back up your words Selena barfoot daughter of an omega." Nicole growls.

"I'm Selena Sandalius." She corrects hotly.

"Oh excuse me you married up." Nicole scoffs.

Jason walks behind Nicole and removes her clothes. Luke does the same for Selena. I can't believe they allowing this fight. Soon as the clothes are gone they shift. Selena is the first to charge. Nicole dodges easily. The insults continue mentally as they circle looking for an opportunity to attack.

"How far will this be allowed to go?" I question Jason quietly.

"Till first blood." He answers not taking his eyes off the action.

Selena charges again. Nicole dances away.

"To slow." Nicole taunts.

After a few more misses. Selena growls and stomps in frustration.

"Come on and fight me runt."

"Ok." Nicole dashes in and hits her with enough force to send them rolling. It's hard to keep track of the action it's happening so fast now. They are a blur of fur. As quickly as it started it's over. Nicole's teeth are sunk into her opponent's shoulder. She lets go and howls triumphantly as blood drips from her jaws. Jason and Luke move in to keep their mates separated as they shift to human form.

Lance walks forward.

"Nicole has proved her and her sister co-mate's rank by first blood." He announces. "Selena apologize for your slurs."

"I apologize." She whimpers.

"It is settled. There is no more dispute between you two. This is final." He commands.

"Yes Elder." They answer in unison.

"We will meet back here in an hour." He grunts and walks off.

Once I get around Jason I see the bruises. I pick her up in my arms and head for the house with Courtney and Jason trailing behind.

"Was that really necessary Nicole?" I grouch.

"Yes." She answers sounding annoyed.

"Why?" I grumble.

"Because we can't have anyone doubting Courtney's rank and status. Nor her right to be here. Now put me down" She huffs.

"No." I growl and pack her into the house. Taking her into the bathroom I set her on the edge of the tub. I wet a washcloth and wipe the blood from her face. My angry moment is passing. I glance down then back to her face. She still naked. Courtney stands at the bathroom door looking very pissed off. Well shit. Jason walks in casually and starts filling the tub. Nudging me aside he takes over caring for Nicole.

"That was one hell of a fight. Don't you think Courtney?" He grins. "Now no one from the other packs will dispute your status as an alpha female. Throwing in Nikki's new found lineage was smart Nicole." He nuzzles her neck as he gently places her in the tub.

Hearing Nicole groan in pain almost makes me move back to her side but I stop myself.

"Ok everyone get lost. I'm capable of bathing myself." She shoos us out. "Jason please send my grandma in. I need to talk to her."

"Is something wrong." I ask worried.

"No Nikki." She tries to reassure. "I just want to speak with her."

I find a seat not far from the bathroom to chill. Jason has gone back out to wait for the meeting. Courtney has gone into the kitchen to start dinner. I don't mean to hurt Courtney. But I am. How long will this bond last? I've always been protective of people I care about. This urge to protect and coddle Nicole is crazy. I can also feel when she's aroused and I want to fill that need. Sighing I try to relax. I groan sometimes my heightened senses are a pain I really am trying to ignore the conversation coming from the bathroom.

"Nicole you knew this pregnancy would cause trouble. Why didn't you end it when you knew he had bred you?" I hear her Grandmother ask. "I taught you how."

"I didn't want to Grandma. I wanted them. I wanted to raise my own cubs for once." She answers softly.

"I know sweetie. I guess it was about time for Damon to be stopped. Yours and Joel's sons are ready to challenge him for the Alpha position now. The timing is right."

"Are they here? When can I see them?" She pleads.

"Yes but you have to wait a little longer to see them."

"Grandma you know Nikki was in transition when I became pregnant. He's made the shift so has his children. I'm frightened." She whimpers.

"You will survive their shift just like others who have made this choice. I wish I could keep the pain away but it's something you will have to endure." She says with sympathy.

I hear her grandmother help her out of the tub.

"I'm so exhausted. They are pulling so much energy from me I think it's going to happen tonight." She says weakly.

I feel so helpless. What do I do?

"Nikki come help me put Nicole to bed." Sirona calls out. I rush to do her biding. I pick up Nicole gently and carry her to bed. Courtney comes quietly into the room.

"Was she hurt in the fight?" She asks with concern.

"Yes but that's not the only reason she's exhausted. The cubs are preparing to shift. Selena's timing for her hissy fit is unfortunate. It's has weakened her." Sirona answers.