Ambitious

Nikki's POV

Nicole is being so quiet tonight. She's still smiling. But she hides her feelings behind that smile so often. I sigh and make up my mind. I need to ask if she's ok. I'm supposed to be her mate, right. I follow her into the kitchen and catch her alone.

"Nicole what's on your mind woman?" I ask softly.

"A lot, today has brought up some painful memories for me." She pauses seemingly unsure.

"You can tell me anything. It won't go any further. If that's your concern." I whisper and take her hand in mine.

It's not common knowledge that I was traded so cheaply to rogue males as a mate and then abandoned. To those few who knew I was no better then dirt." She whispers.

It wasn't your fault. What your father did. What they did." I try to make sense of this.

Doesn't matter it left me with nothing to offer a good mate. If it wasn't for Adan's decision to take me to Sirona instead of my mother things might be a lot different. Henry would have shamed me. I would have had no status. Sirona told the Council that my mates were killed and I lost my cubs from trauma. She took me in and trained me as a healer. I worked hard. Once I turned 19 when most girls are already married. I was still single. Even with the lack of females no one wanted a black furred runt, novice healer, with low status."

"Is that why you became a breeder for the pack." I ask.

"I didn't even think They would let me be that." She sighs sadly. "I guess they figured I wouldn't be a life mate and the cubs would have their father's status.

I take her in my arms for a hug.

"What's with the black fur thing?" I ask gently.

"Solid colors aren't normally excepted among the packs unless it occurs in males especially mirrored twins like I found out my uncles are. One is white, the other is black. Some times solid colors come with one green eye and one brown eye. It's only considered attractive on males."

"So they think your not feminine." I grunt.

"It was enough a long time ago for me to be left exposed as a newborn cub." She explains. "Times have changed but the prejudice still lingers."

"It hasn't stopped them from using you." I grumble.

"After seeing my uncles I think I know why they allowed me to breed now. Mirrored twins like them have always been heroes in our legends. My uncles fought bravely against the hunters. I carry those genes." She smirks.

"I think you've made your own status. You're sought after for your healing. You're an excellent hunter. Everyday I learn of a different talent you possess. Most of all you are the mother of eighteen healthy and beautiful children who adore you. You managed to show them your love even after you were forced to leave them. I think those children's fathers adore you too." I grin. I know I do.

She giggles like a little girl.

"They only spent one night with me."

"Then they watched you handle your situation like a lady." I give her a tight squeeze. "Are Lunar and Astra mirror twins?"

"Yes and no they only have the eyes. Both their eyes turn a golden yellow when they shift like my uncles. Being female It hasn't made their life easy. They've had no offers of marriage. I hurt for them. I don't know what to do for them though." She says sadly.

Maybe holding her so close was a mistake. I look into her dark eyes. I want to kiss her lips. I can't believe I was her first kiss. She's a mature woman. I sigh. I'll keep my promised to Courtney. I resist her lips and kiss the top of her head. She rests weakly against my chest.

"Is there something else bothering you?" I whisper.

"The men that Henry traded me to. I don't think they wanted wanted cubs. They only used me till I went into labor. Then they disappeared." She begins to weep.

"I'm so sorry baby." I whisper.

"I haven't seen them till now.
They are with Damon's pack. I saw them hanging with the younger men. They trailed in about 30 minutes after the LA pack." She Whimpers.

"They didn't approach you. Touch you!" I growl my temper growing.

"No, they wouldn't dare." she says softly trying to calm. This isn't just about me. It bring Damon's pack to twenty. I need to warn Jake. Damon is recruiting rouge wolves to his pack. They are dangerous. I'm also afraid if Adan and Ciel catch their scent first there will be a bloodbath. Jake will know how to tell the council and the other alpha's. He has a talent for politics. I asked him here tonight." She finishes.

"Have you told Jason?" I ask.

"No not yet. I was afraid he would want revenge for me." She says.

"Jason!" I holler.

"Ah Nikki." She groans.

Jason comes trotting into the kitchen quickly.

"What's up?" He smiles

"Its seems the men that hurt her when she was twelve have decided to show their ugly faces again." I tell him bluntly.

"Oh really." He answers. His lips curling into a snarl.

"Hey what's going on?" Jake pops in interrupting us. I'm sure Jason felt the same way. Those men deserved a major ass kicking for using a baby. Then leaving her to give birth alone. She had almost died.

"Jake the men Henry traded me to are here. Please stop them from doing something stupid." Nicole blurts out.

"Calm yourselves." He commands. I feel his words and I'm calm against my will. I grunt in irritation. "Now explain Nicole."

"They arrived about thirty minutes after the LA pack. I saw them getting chummy with Damon, I snuck closer." I glare at that. She looks at me then back at Jake as she speaks. "Don't worry I was downwind. They were joining his pack. That brings his pack to twenty. They have others coming.

"He's planning an all male super pack made up with the malcontent." Jake thinks out loud. "Thank you Nicole for this intel." He's out the door as quickly as he came.

"Holy crap Damon is an ambitious pup." Jason sits down stunned. "If Nicole wouldn't have over heard. He could have caught us all unaware. He wants to rule the packs."