Chapter 6

content warning: mention of blood

Chapter 6

My Own Plan

"Explain it to me," mariin 'kong utos. I opened my eyes and met his dark stares with mine. "In the easiest way, that I will be able to understand it," nahihirapan 'kong dagdag.

"Vampires, like us, has a lot of differences compared to most of the shows that you have probably seen, but we also have similarities. We can sprint faster than a normal person can. We drink blood, to survive. We also burn in the sun without protection."

"Protection?" nagtataka 'kong tanong.

"Yes. Due to the races not getting along well, a big percentage of the vampire population doesn't have protection. Protection from the sun, is given to us by the clans of witches. Only the family of vampires that has connection to families of witches are the ones that has the ability to get protection from the sun. The witches have a spell that only they know that they use to protect some of us."

"How come I don't burn? I-I've never got in touch with my real family," tanong ko ulit. Sa dalawang dekada 'kong kasama sina Tita Alicia ay wala silang ibinigay sa akin na pangalan o kahit anong impormasyon tungkol sa aking totoong pamilya. Ang pinakamalapit nang interaskyon ko sa kanila ay ang narinig 'kong tawag noong isang araw. Hindi pa ako sigurado kung kapamilya ko nga ba talaga ang kausap ni Tita Alicia sa kabilang linya.

"Your family casted a spell on you when you were still an infant. To protect you, from the sun, from their enemies," sagot nito.

Enemies? He means them? Well, it looked like the protection from the enemies didn't work, the way they expected for me to be protected.

"We are also immortal. Our physical appearance doesn't age anymore when our body reaches the young-adult phase. But, just like any other supernatural creatures, we, vampires, also have our own weaknesses. The sun and a fruit, named melothaine," he paused.

A fruit? Can kill an immortal vampire?

"Melothaine is like a blueberry in shape, but smaller. It's black when it's not yet ready and it turns white when it's already riped. You probably haven't heard about that name yet, it's because it has been off limits to humans for thousands of centuries already. Only the most powerful family of vampires has the source for that kind of fruit. They don't let it get distributed to others, even to the richest families of vampires. You can only be obtain it if you have a good enough reason for them to give you some."

"But, anyone can just make up reasons just to get some. What if they fake their reasonings?" tanong ko. Seriously, it's so easy to lie in front of someone. How could they trust someone with such a dangerous weapon?

"Well, they make a contract. From what I know, the contract is written with the blood of the person who is requesting for the fruit. The said reasons will be written with their blood, as well as their signatures. If they didn't exactly do what was written in the contract, they will immediately be killed. The paper and the blood that they used to write down the contract is bound with a spell."

That's why. I knew that they were not dumb enough to easily believe some words. No one is dumb enough to request for a dangerous fruit and just play with it. It's like you're playing with fire. One wrong move and you're dead.

"How does it kill a vampire? Is it an immediate effect?"

"Well, the effect is it sucks all of the blood in the body of the vampire and also causes hallucinations. If the fruit is still not riped, the effect won't be that intense. The fruit will just leave the right amount of blood for the vampire to survive, but in a very weak state. But, the crucial part of digesting a not ripe melothaine is the effect lasts for weeks. Even if you drink liters of blood, it won't have any effect, your body will remain weak."