Chapter 12: Ghost Ship

"That's the second time Jaune and Myrmidon have fought each other," Ruby stated, as she fidgeted in her seat.

"Hey, you're right!" Nora realized. "And didn't he and Tyrian clash like, three or four times before Fearless Leader killed him?"

"Well, the second 'fight' was more akin to a game of cat and mouse throughout the entire mansion, but yes, they did," Weiss nodded.

"If the rule of three is what each of Jaune's opponents are following, I guess that means he's due for his second battle with Griffith," Pyrrha deduced. The lights began to dim. "I wonder if that'll be in this episode."

The episode began with a Jaune following a narrow stone, hallway, which curved to the left and then slanted downwards, a flight of stairs following the abrupt tilt. Proceeding down the steps, the Huntsman found himself standing in the middle of a cavern, filled with a giant underground lake. A large, wooden ship with three masts was docked near the rocks making up a crude beach.

"Whoa, a pirate ship!" Yang gasped.

"Awesome!" Sun grinned. "I wonder if there's any treasure on board?"

"If there is, it's probably long since rusted and lost its value," Emerald frowned. She hated to see riches lose their worth.

Jaune approached the ship, which towered over him like a giant.

"There's no way I can climb up that," he sighed, shaking his head. Then he took a closer look at the side of the ship. Under the water, near the bottom of the ship, was a large hole, big enough for the Huntsman to easily swim through. "That might work," he decided. Jaune took a deep breath, then ran forwards and dived into the water.

"Swimming, huh?" Tai said thoughtfully. "A clever idea, but what about underwater Grimm?"

"Oh, please, Mr. Xiao Long," Ms. Goodwitch sighed. "That ship is a much smaller vessel than the latest in nautical transportation. A Sea Feilong or a Leviathan could never fit in a cave of that size, much less the ship."

Jaune breaststroked his way through the broken side of the ship, and into its hold. Scattered crates and broken barrels were scattered throughout the hold, and much of the floor above him had rotted away, giving him east access to the upper floors of the ship. The Huntsman began to swim upwards, but widened his eyes as a searing pain suddenly made itself known in his back. Blood billowed from behind him, turning some of the water dark, murky red.

"Whoa! What the hell?" Mercury demanded, jumping in his seat.

"What happened?" Coco demanded. "Who attacked him?"

Whirling around, Jaune spied his attacker. A strange Grimm was slowly swimming towards him from behind. The front half was that of an Ursa, who's large mouth was open in a soundless roar. The bottom half, however, was the long tail of some kind of shark Grimm, with white spikes sticking out of the beast's tail and dorsal fin.

"What were you saying about there being no underwater Grimm in that ship?" Qrow asked a dumbfounded Ms. Goodwitch.

"What species of Grimm is that... creature?" Ren asked, concerned. "Some amalgamation of Ursa and aquatic Grimm?"

"In all my years, I've never seen such a thing!" Ozpin whispered, wide-eyed.

"Swim for your life!" Blake called, worried for her friend.