Chapter 5: Coincidence

"I do not believe in meaningless coincidences. I believe every coincidence is a message, a clue about a particular facet of our lives that requires our attention."
-Deepak Chopra

It's true that everything happens for a reason. Even coincidences happen for a reason. Have a nice day, Gabrielle! xx -H💋

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"Are you sure you'll just take a cab home?" my Mom asked. We are outside the cinema because Faith and I have plans to watch a movie. It is currently Saturday and I don't have much homework so it's fine if I went out.

"Mom, how will I learn if I won't try? I'm eighteen now. Some people with the same age as me gets to live alone," I answered.

"You know why we're very protective of you, right?" she said and I sighed.

"I'll be okay. I'll get home safely," I assured her before stepping out of the car.

"No later than 8pm, okay?" she reminded. I just gave her a thumbs up before closing the door and walking over to the entrance of the cinema.

I stood beside the ticket booth and dialed my phone to contact Faith. She didn't answer the first time I called. I sighed before calling her again. Some people are looking at me probably wondering why I look a bit irritated.

Faith finally answered on my third try. "Gabbie, I'm so sorry," she started.

"Why? What happened? Why aren't you here yet?" I asked.

"Something came up and I can't leave the house. Let's just watch a movie some other time?"

I sighed in disappointment. "But I'm already in the cinemas, Faith."

"OMG! I'm really sorry, sis. I'll call the other girls to watch with you," she said.

"No, it's fine. I'll call them," I answered before saying goodbye to Faith and dropping the call.

I dialed Danica's number first. I called her thrice but she didn't answer. My mood is really starting to change.

I, then called Shine and luckily, she answered after three rings. "Hey, Gab!"

"Hi, Shine. Are you free today? Do you want to watch a movie with me?"

She sighed. "Gabbie, I'm so sorry, girl but I already promised my Mom that I'll help her out in her lab. Sorry."

"It's alright, babe. Don't stress. I'll find another person to come with me," I answered. She said sorry once again before dropping the call.

I called Jay, hoping that he's free but looks like the universe doesn't want me to have a companion because he didn't answer.

"How come all of them are busy?! This sucks!" I groaned.

I was thinking of going home but I came all this way to watch a movie and so that's what I did.

I walked over to the ticket booth and bought one ticket to the horror movie Faith and I was about to watch. I bought popcorn on the popcorn stand and went inside the cinema to watch the movie.

There were just a few people inside when I came in. It is probably because the movie wasn't starting yet and the big screen showcases trailers for upcoming movies. I sat on the seat indicated on my ticket and watched the trailers. Most of them were horror and thriller movie trailers.

As time passes by, the people inside the cinema are starting to pile up. I looked at the seat beside me and it was still empty. I didn't mind though. It'll actually be better if no one sat next to me.

I started eating my popcorn when the movie started and just when I thought no one will be sitting beside me, someone sat there. I didn't pay much attention to him because I don't care who he is.

"Gabbie?" he called and I immediately faced him.

Now I do care who he is because he's...

"Xander?"

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"I can't believe how boring that movie is. I should've just went home," I groaned.

Xander chuckled. "Trailers really can be deceiving."

We just finished watching the movie and it sucks! It had no thrill at all, the story plot is very predictable, and the jump scares weren't even scary.

"Want to get something to eat?" he asked.

"Uh, sure," I said, nodding.

He asked me to follow him and I did. We ended up in the diner across the street.

"What would you like to get?" he asked when the server handed us the menu.

"I'll just have a strawberry milkshake. I'm still kinda full from the popcorn," I answered.

He nodded. "I'll have the burger with extra cheese and a canned coke," he told the server. She listed our orders and repeated them before grabbing the menu and walking away.

"Why were you alone, by the way?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Faith and I were supposed to watch together but something came up so I tried calling my other friends, but they're not available too."

He chuckled. "What a coincidence! I got stood up too. I was supposed to meet my sister but something came up as well."

I looked at him in shock. "You have a sister?"

"Half sister. I'll be actually meeting her for the first time but she didn't come so just my luck."

"She's your sister from?" I asked.

"My father's side," he answered and I nodded. "I'm glad we both got stood up."

I raised a brow. "I'm not."

"Well, you should because if we didn't, I wouldn't get to sit here with you." He winked and my face started to heat.

Good thing the server came at the right situation. I think I'm going to have a heart attack if I have to face him again.

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"I had really fun today. Thank you, Xander," I told him when we reached the front door of my house. He volunteered to take me home just when I was about to get into a cab.

"I had fun too. Let's watch another movie again sometime. Not a horror movie though," he said and I chuckled.

"I'll go in now," I said before turning back.

"Gabbie, wait!" he called and I turned around to face him.

"Yes?" I asked but he didn't answer. Instead, he held my wrist and slipped my rose gold charm.  I looked at him in shock. "You, uh, dropped this a while ago."

"Marina Gabrielle!" a familiar voice called. I immediately took my wrist back and faced that person.

He had his brow furrowed and his arms were crossed above his chest. I inhaled a deep breath before saying, "H-hey, Dad."

He looked at Xander and then back to me before saying, "We need to talk."