Chapter 13: Approval

"Love cannot be measured by how long you wait, its about how well you understand why you are waiting." -Unknown

Have a pleasant day, Gabrielle. -H💋

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

It had been three months since Xander started courting me. He takes me to school every day and also takes me home. We sometimes go on dates on Saturdays. He also gives me gifts like flowers, chocolates, or plushies once in a while.

People at school think that we're already boyfriend and girlfriend but Xander and I had a hard time explaining what we are at the moment so we just let them assume that we are officially a couple.

Dad has gotten used to Xander now but I can't feel him giving his approval any time soon.

"Hey, Xander," I greeted when I answered the phone and saw his name on the screen.

"Brielle, I'm sorry," he said in a low and husky voice.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why? Are you okay?"

"I don't think I can go to school tomorrow. I can't pick you up," he said before coughing.

Concern immediately consumed my system. "It's okay. Get some rest, okay? Do you want me to go to your house tomorrow?"

"No, it's fine. Don't worry about me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Brielle. I'll be okay," he assured.

"Just call me if you need anything."

"I will," he answered. "The only problem is I'll be missing you a lot."

I blushed. He's sick for goodness sake yet he still made my heart flutter. This guy, really!

"Take your medicine and get some sleep, alright? Don't skip meals too or else..."

"Or else what?" he asked with a teasing tone. "Are you gonna punish me?"

I gulped. Did it really sound wrong? OMG! It probably did. "S-Shut up," I answered and he laughed.

"I'll call you tomorrow."

"Okay. Go to sleep. You need it," I said before saying goodbye and dropping the line.

I sighed before standing up and walking to Mom and Dad's room.

"Dad, you'll be taking me to school tomorrow," I said when I entered.

"Why?" He furrowed his eyebrows. "Did he give up courting you already?" He smirked.

I scoffed. "He's just sick, okay?"

"Tell him to get some rest," Dad said.

"I already did," I answered before turning back. I was about to walk away when I realized something. "Hold up!" I said, facing Dad again. "Are you concerned about him?" I asked, smirking.

His eyes widened. "No! What the hell are you talking about?"

"I can smell the sweet, sweet scent of approval," I said, smiling.

"It's not like that!" he defended.

"It's exactly like that," I teased.

"Marina!"

"Good night, Dad!" I said before running back to my room while laughing. I knew it! He already developed a soft side for Xander. Maybe this courting thing isn't so bad after all.

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"I actually miss this," I said out of the blue. Dad is now driving me to school. We're just listening to some music when I realized that our last car ride going to school was three months ago.

"I missed taking my little mermaid to school too," he replied, making me smile.

I looked out the window and admired the buildings. I don't usually do this but I just feel so appreciative and joyful today.

While admiring the scenery before me, I suddenly remembered Xander.

"Dad," I called his attention.

"Yes?" he asked.

I looked at him. "When did you realize that Mom is the one for you?"

He thought about it for a few seconds before shrugging. "I just knew. I just knew that I don't want to lose her because she keeps me going. She makes me feel alive. I can't imagine life without her. She is the only person who could make me truly happy."

I smiled. "Wonderful. Truly amazing."

"You're acting weird." He chuckled.

"Why?" I asked.

"Usually, you hate it when I get all sweet and expressive to your mom. What changed?" he asked.

I giggled. "Nothing. I just felt like I wanted to ask you that question."

"Love really changes people, huh?" he said.

I looked at him, weirdly. "Love?" I asked.

He glanced at me for a bit before reverting his gaze to the road. "Yes, Marina, love."

"I like him, Dad but I don't think I'm at that point where I can say that I love him," I stated.

"What makes you think that I'm talking about him?" He smirked and my eyes widened.

"Aren't y-you talking about h-him?" I asked, trying to keep my cool but obviously failed.

He laughed. "Maybe I was or maybe I wasn't."

"Dad!" I crossed my arms. "Who were you talking about if it wasn't him?"

"Random people on random places," he answered.

"That's so stupid!" I exclaimed and he laughed.

"I know you already love Xander, Marina. Don't try to deny it. Your feelings are reflected in the way you act and talk and everything. Admit it to yourself. It'll be easier," he said.

I sighed. I haven't really thought about that. I didn't know that my feelings are already getting more intense as time passes by. I just know that I'm having fun with Xander. He makes me feel things that I haven't felt before. He makes me feel special. He treats me like a queen and maybe, I fell for him even more because of that.

"You're acting weird," I told my dad.

"Weird?"

"Are you seriously talking about love to your 18-year-old daughter whom you protected for so long that no person had the courage to ask her out because of you?"

He laughed. "Was it really wrong of me to do that?"

"Very wrong," I answered.

"Your mom talked to me." He glanced at me for a few seconds before looking back at the road. "She told me to give my approval and that three months should be enough for Xander to prove that he's really serious about you."

"So are you going to give your approval anytime soon?" I asked and he stopped the car. I looked out the window and saw that we are already at school.

"I still think that he's dangerous to you..."

"But?"

"Okay, fine. I am giving my approval. You can already say yes."