Chapter 19: Hanna Planes

"Beware the person with nothing to lose." -Italian Proverb

People like that are found anywhere. They're the people with the greatest thirst for vengeance. Be careful. -H💋

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"Marina, can you do me a favor?" Mom asked.

A week has passed since Tita Khaila and Drew's visit. They promised they'll be back next month and I'm really looking forward to it.

Today is Sunday and we're at Mom's boutique helping her out. She'll be having a fashion show in two weeks which is why she's really busy. She'll be presenting her 60s-inspired collection.

Each piece of clothing she designed is absolutely breathtaking. I actually would be asking her production team to reserve pieces for me to take home.

"Sure, Mom. What do you need?" I asked.

"Please go to Sandra's agency and get the list of the models that'll be in the show," she said.

I smiled before nodding. "Who will drive me there though?"

"Your dad," she answered and my smile faded.

"Can't you do it?" I asked.

She smiled as if she's assuring me that everything's gonna be fine. "Be back early, okay?" she said before going back to what she was doing.

I walked over to where Dad was standing and told him that we should go. He nodded and walked with me to his car.

The car ride going to Tita Sandra's agency was so awkward. I don't know if Dad feels the same way as I feel but the atmosphere sure is heavy.

I had my phone plugged in the car's stereo but it was not enough to mask the awkwardness around us.

"Does it still bother you?" he asked, referring to the events that happened years ago. "Don't answer if it's hard for you."

I gave him a small smile. "I'm okay with talking about it, Dad."

"I just don't want you to stress and get–"

"The attacks? I'm fine right now, Dad. I've been taking my medicine, remember?"

He took a deep breath. "I want to know if you believe that I cheated on your mom."

"To be honest, I actually think you did. I'm sorry, Dad." I sighed.

"It's okay, Ariel. I understand." He looked at me and smiled a bit before diverting his gaze back to the road. "Sandra is just a friend. I only helped her then because she seemed lost and I do owe her that because I broke her heart when I decided to marry your mom."

"Did she ever show motive that she wants to get back with you and ruin your marriage?" I asked.

"No. Our story is as good as done," he answered. "I never told your mom about this but when she kicked me out of the house, I lived in my car for days. I didn't find an apartment to stay in because I believe that she'll tell me to come back," he narrated. Mom did ask him to come back but it was too late. Their short breakup already took a toll on me.

"I love your mom more than anything, Marina. I love you and Maxwell too. Being away from the three of you that time was a torture which is why I promised myself that I would never upset your mom again," he said, looking at me and smiling a bit.

I felt tears starting to build up on the corners of my eyes. This is the first time I listened to Dad's version of the story. I forgave him before but I still thought that he was the one responsible for everything.