Chapter 16: When You're Ready

"There's no need to rush. If something is meant to be, it will happen. In the right time, with the right person, for the best reason." -Unknown

Enjoy this day, Gabrielle. xoxo -H💋

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"Gabbie, stay for a moment," Dad said after we finished eating dinner. I was about to stand but since he asked me to stay, I sat down.

A week has passed since our trip to the Empire State Building. It is one of the greatest nights of my life and Max's life too because he finally had the courage to confess that he has a crush on Penny.

"What's  up, Dad?"I asked.

"Your Mom and I had a conversation last night," he started.

"About?" I raised both my eyebrows.

"You're all grown up now and we accept that which is why we're putting the decision in your shoulders," he said.

"Just get straight to the point."

"Since you have a boyfriend now, it's your decision if you want to do it with him," Mom said, emphasizing the word 'it'. "In my personal opinion, I would want you to wait until marriage just like I did but you don't have to if you don't want to. We just want you to think about it lots of times before you do it. Think about the consequences after."

"And if you have decided to do it, please practice safe sex," Dad added.

"Yeah, don't be like your dad who just sleeps around without anything. It's a wonder no one got pregnant after doing it with you," Mom said and Dad glared at her.

"Hey! You make it sound like I was a man wh*re," Dad called out.

"But you were. Just stating facts, love," Mom countered.

I laughed. This is the reason why Mom and Dad can't pull off a serious conversation with Maxwell and me because they end up teasing or arguing with each other.

"Anyway, just don't do something you'll regret later on," Dad told me, completely ignoring Mom.

I nodded. "I was planning on waiting until marriage. You don't have to worry about anything," I assured them. "If Xander can't accept that then maybe he's not the one for me," I added.

"That's my girl." Dad smiled, feeling proud.

"And did you just have a conversation about sex with your daughter whom you have protected for so long?" I asked.

"Better to have this conversation before you blame us for not warning you about it," Mom answered.

"Thanks, Mom, Dad. Thank you for looking out for me." I gave them a genuine smile.

"That's our job, sweetie but you're welcome," Mom said, smiling.

"Oh, and Faith wanted us to have a sleepover at their place so I'll just be getting some stuff after school tomorrow and I'll be back by Saturday Afternoon," I informed them.

"We won't be home tomorrow too," Dad said.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "How about Maxwell?"