Chapter 3

CARLISLE'S POV

"Time to go to the hospital." I told my wife. Our little mate was waking and she needed testing to make sure she was going to die on us. Especially if we didn't have a way to turn her. 

"We need to tell her our cover story." We ran to her room and pushed open the door. 

"Good evening sleepy head." Esme said.

"Hi," Stef said with a little smile and a stretch of her arms. 

"We want to go to the hospital but first we need to tell you our cover story. Esme and I are foster parents. Your mother was Esme's distant cousin and she was recently murdered. You ran away after you witnessed the murder. We have custody of you but needed to find you first. You showed up on our doorstep today and we were given permission to keep you as long as we complied with what was needed of us."

"Shouldn't your cover story have a little more detail?"

"Well we couldn't come up with a whole background on such short notice but if any one asks questions we are prepared to play the part of grieving family members." Stefanie through her legs over the bed after I finished filling her in. When she tried to stand she trembled and almost fell but I managed to catch her in time thanks to my practice as a doctor and my superhuman speed. 

"Well guess I'm not walking on my own." She chuckled.

"Shouldn't you be a little more concerned that you couldn't stand up on your own?"

"No, I'm used to it after I've been drained. At least I'm not in a catatonic state. Just a little weak and dependent on someone. So who wants to carry me out?" I easily picked her up in a bridal hold and cradled her close to my stone body. 

"I believe that I get that honor." I said as I kissed her forehead. She giggled. I started off out the door and then to the car with Esme at my side. Esme had extra blankets and a bag full of these that Stef may need at the hospital. Once at the car I gingerly put her in the backseat. Once I was sure she was safe and situated I got in the car myself and started driving to the hospital. When we arrived at the hospital I heard Stef's heart rate speed up.

"Stef, are you nervous?"

"Yeah, what if I let something slip and I expose you?"

"If you are really worried you don't have to speak. You can always let Esme and myself take care of everything."

"I think I might just do that. I don't want to make things difficult for you guys."

"Well we appreciate that. Now when we get in there I promise not to leave your side unless you want me too. I will have my most trusted colleague be the one to take care of you."  We pulled up to the hospital and I gave Stef a quick smile. Her eyes started to water before I could turn back around.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I figured it would be more convincing if I was crying. Esme should be crying as well."

"Good thinking." I tossed a thing of saline eye drops from my medical bag to Esme. She uncapped it and poured quite a bit into her eyes then placed it into her pocket. I went around to the back of the car and wrapped the blankets around Stef. I then lifted her up into my arms.

"Remember, you don't have to talk. And Esme you are playing the role of a grieving family member and a worried mother."
Esme started speed walking towards the Emergency Room and I was right on her trail. We walked in and I immediately went to the nurses station.

"Oh, Dr. Cullen what brings you in today." The nurse said batting her eyelashes and trying to flirt. It made me angry. It had never bothered me before but this clearly wasn't a social call.