Soulmates (Fedex) by KlarinetKat

This was by far the stupidest thing the council had ever done. In Dex's opinion at least.
    "Ok," Biana said excitedly. She was practically jumping up and down. "So let me explain this once again. Now that we've drank our elixirs, on our wrists will be the color of our soulmates' eyes. Once you kiss your soulmate, the mark will disappear. You guys ready?"
    No. Dex was most definitely not ready. He could only faintly remember saying yes to something Biana had asked him, and then she had squealed. Dex in truth had no idea what she had asked him, but after she explained the soulmate elixir the matchmakers had brewed up for whoever wanted it, Dex almost puked. It was even worse than the scrolls!
    "Okay, on three everyone pull your sleeve up," Biana said, a twinkle in her eyes. "One...two...three!"
    Dex sucked in a breath and tore his eyes from his arm as he pulled up his sleeve. Around him there were gasps, laughs, and an array of other sounds. He slowly moved his gaze to his wrist to see what color his streak was.
    ...Teal?
    Before anyone could see Dex's mark he quickly pulled his sleeve back down.
    "Well would you look at the time! My parents want me back!" He exclaimed. Ignoring the confused looks from his friends he pulled out his home crystal and leaped back home, away from the things he would have to admit.
***
    On Monday Dex wore a long sleeved tunic to school. No way was he gonna let his friends see his mark. As much as Dex hated to admit it, basically every teal-eyed elf in the lost cities was...a Vacker. And of course, Dex hated Vackers. Of course he hated them. He wasn't just trying to embrace hating them because he actually loved one of them...definitely not.
    "Hey Dex!" Dex jumped from the voice. He whirled around to come face to face with a beaming Sophie.
    "Oh erm...hi Soph," Dex said awkwardly.
    "Why'd you leave so quickly yesterday?" Sophie asked.
    "Uh...I had to go for a technopath thing," Dex lied quickly.
    Sophie narrowed her eyes at him. "Yesterday you said it was because your parents called you."
    Dex internally cursed himself for not keeping track of his lies. "Uhhh...yeah! My parents were calling me, to remind me of the technopath thing!"
    Sophie raised an eyebrow skeptically. Dex heaved out a sigh. "I'm not fooling anyone, am I?"
    Sophie shook her head. "Tell me the real reason."
    I sigh. Better to just show her. Reluctantly, I pull up my sleeve to reveal the teal mark. Sophie gasps. "Your mark is teal?"
    I nod, cringing slightly. Then her face splits into a grin as she pulls up her own sleeve to show her mark which is...exactly like mine.
    "Yours is teal too?" I ask, incredulous. Sophie nods, her cheeks blooming into a rosy pink. I bet her soulmate is perfect, precious Wonderboy. Of course.
    "Aw I bet it's Biana!" Sophie squeals. "You guys would be so cute together!"
    I nod. "Yeah...Biana. Well, I better head to class Sophie, seeya."
    I turn away and rush off to my alchemy class. It's better to ignore my mark, it's not like any of the Vackers would choose me anyway. But maybe if their sign says we're meant to be too...
    I shake my head to clear my thoughts. No false hope Dex, no false hope.
    "Oh hi Dex!" Biana called from behind him. Dex sighed. Time to face another person. "What color is your mark?"
    Dex squirmed around uncomfortably. "Erm...you show me yours first!"
    Biana looked around nervously, making Dex wonder what was eating at her. "Ok Dex...just...don't judge." In one swift motion Biana pulled up her sleeve to reveal her mark.
    "It's...brown?" Dex said in wonder. Biana hurriedly yanked her sleeve down again, her face becoming red. "Yeah, I know, it's...crazy!"
    "There's only one elf with brown eyes..." Dex said, slowly starting to put the pieces together. "Your soulmate is...Sophie?"
    "I know right!" Biana exclaimed. She shook Dex's shoulders. "I have no idea what to do! I bet she thinks her soulmate is my brother and...she doesn't like me!"
    Dex blinked to try to clear his thoughts. "It'll be fine Biana. You've just gotta woo her!"
    "Being queer is looked down upon in the Lost Cities Dex!" Biana hissed. "It means you're a bad match, it's the same as being a twin or triplet!"
    Dex flinched at the words.
    Biana's eyes widened as she realized the impact of her words. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry Dex! I-I didn't mean it like that! I'm so sorry, I wasn't thinking-"
    "It's okay Biana," Dex said quietly. "I know you didn't mean it."
    "W-well," Biana said, trying to find the right words. "I mean, you parents got through it all. And I know they're ten times braver than me but...I still think we can make it work. You think so Dex?"
    Dex nodded. If anyone could get through prejudice, it would be Biana.
    "Well, show me yours," Biana smiled. Dex remembered the start of the conversation. And now that he realized...Biana wasn't his soulmate. But if it wasn't Biana...
    "I-I need to go," Dex stuttered. He shouldered past Biana and ran through the halls of Foxfire, not caring about the stares coming his way. He threw his back at the wall in an empty hallway and slid down to the floor, tucking his chin into his knees and curling up into a little ball. It'll be even worse Dex. You'll be the son of a bad match, the brother of triplets and...you're gay.
    "...Dex?"
    Dex looked up to see who had spoken and was greeted by a pair of bright teal eyes. They weren't Biana's though.
    "Fitz..." Dex choked out. He was on the verge of tears and he knew it, but he wasn't about to break down and cry in front of Fitzroy Avery Vacker. "What are you doing here?"
    "I was just on my way to class," Fitz said, his smile wavering. Why wasn't he happy?
    "Are you okay?" Dex asked. Fitz snorted. "Says the guy who I found curled up in a hallway looking ready to cry."
    Dex looked away and rubbed at his eyes where clear, crystal tears were starting to form. "What's it to you?"
    "Dex," Fitz said. He looked disappointed. "Why do you hate me?"
    I don't.
    "You don't?" Fitz asked.
Dex's eyes widened. "NO! STOP! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" In a desperate attempt to get Fitz out of his head, away from his secrets, Dex jumped at him, tackling Fitz to the ground. They rolled around on the tile floor, each trying to pin the other down.
"Dex, STOP!" Fitz shouted.  Fitz gripped Dex's wrists tightly, slowing down Dex's struggling. Finally Dex stopped struggling, to find himself pinned down on the ground by Fitz. He looked up at Fitz, who was red in the face, his teal irises shrinking as his black pupils grew. Dex stole a glance at Fitz's wrist, which had been uncovered in the tackle. Dex gasped, his ears burning.
Periwinkle...
"Oi you derps, what are you guys doing?!" Keefe shouted from somewhere near.
Fitz startled from the sound, losing his balance and falling right on top of Dex, and before Dex could comprehend what was happening, Fitz's lips were crashed onto his. Dex's eyes widened as he realized, he was kissing Fitz Vacker. He was kissing Fitz Vacker. He was kissing Fitzroy Avery Vacker!
And all too quickly the moment was over, and Fitz pulled away.
"Oh my gosh Dex!" Fitz exclaimed, even redder than before. "I'm so sorry, I lost my balanced and-"
"Fitz..." Dex murmured. "Look at your wrist."
Surely enough, the periwinkle streak on Fitz's wrist was fading fast, as well as Dex's teal streak. The two looked at each other as the last drops of color left their skin, and Dex found himself leaning towards Fitz. This time it was softer, and their lips fit together more smoothly. Dex wrapped his arms around Fitz's neck and Fitz cradled Dex's cheeks softly in his hands. Dex could feel Fitz smiling against the kiss, which made Dex smile too, his fingers threading through Fitz's soft hair on the nape of his neck. This time Dex was the one who pulled away, to look Fitz in the eye.
"I think teal's my new favorite color," He said softly.
Fitz stroked Dex's cheek and whispered. "Love is a long way coming. But don't worry, we'll make this work."