I'm Listening (Sophitz) by @derpypancakez

Hi! Sorry for the long break!

This was actually inspired by a tiktok. I really liked the idea so I decided to write about it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this mess of a writing! :)))))))))))

I watch my mother's hands clap in excitement. "Congratulations, honey! Well, I mean, it's no surprise you got twenty-four hours, but still."

Let me give you some background information. In our world, if you can call this messed up, hell of a life a world, you get a number when you turn sixteen. From one through twenty-four. As simple as that. It's anticlimactic, really. A spark in my dull, repetitive life.

Now what does the number do, you ask? Well, it's the amount of hours a day where you're hearing is turned on. Yep, turned on. Because once the hours run out, you're deaf. Deaf as a doormat, my sister likes to say. I think she means dead as a doormat, but I don't correct her.

"Wowee," I clap my hands along with fake enthusiasm. Sarcasm drips from my voice, but the only person that notices is Biana. "I feel a headache coming on, mom. Can I go to bed early?" I smile inside at her sympathetic eyes.

"Of course, honey. Rest up for school tomorrow." Works every time. Biana shoots me a glare that seems to say, how dare you leave me with these two alone? I'm only letting this go because it's your birthday. It's crisp and clear. I guess a lifetime of communicating with eyes gives you this special ability or something.

I love my parents and all, but they're just a bunch of airheads. Sorry, someone's gotta say it. They're not exactly the best parents, but, I mean, at least they give us freedom. My mom just lies back and watches Wheel of Fortune seven hours a day, and my dad's a workaholic that rarely sees the light of day. Always cramped in his office, typing away at the computer.

Biana and I have learned to take care of ourselves. It's an endless repeat of eat, go to school, come home, sleep. Like I said, dull. I lie in bed that day, the faint taste of toothpaste still lingering in my mouth, and wonder if it's even worth it to show everyone my 24. I mean, nobody even cares about me. I doubt people even remember it was my birthday. I'm not complaining about that, though. Blending in for the win. I close my eyes and a plan forms in my head. Something that will make me more insignificant as ever. The ends of my lips curl up in the dark.

---

"We're late!" Biana shrills. I've explained everything, every last detail to her this morning. She nodded. Biana understands me, and I understand her. It's a pure stroke of luck we ended up in the same family. I don't think I could have survived this mess of a family without her.

I will my eyes to go blank as Biana pulls on my hands. Whispers start around me and one person calls out, "Oi! Fitz!" I don't turn to the sound, just walk to my locker like always and pull out my textbooks. The shutting of my locker is loud but I pretend not to notice as heads swivel my way. Whatever they're thinking, that's exactly what I want them to think.

Biana stays next to me in the hallway. One of her friends come up to her and ask, "Does he really have a 0?"

My sister fakes a sympathetic nod. "Yeah, it sucks." Her friend's eyebrows shoot up and she immediately vanishes into the crowd. Probably to tell all of her friends. And then the whole school. Oh well. This is what I wanted, right?

When I walk into Mr. Tiergan's science class, the whole class falls silent. Surely the news wouldn't have spread that fast, right? But then again, I'm the first student in decades to have a 0. There's exactly one empty seat. Next to a breathtakingly beautiful girl. I've seen her around before, but never in the same class. I go and sit down and stares burn into the back of my head as I flip my book open.

"So class, today we're going to study..."

---

"Hey loser, want to go play soccer after school?" A kid calls out. His name is Keefe, I think. Jock, popular, athletic, and everything else that I am not. Now that he knows I can't hear him, I thought his taunts would fade away. His jock friends all laugh as if that was the funniest thing they'd ever heard. Seriously, it's like he's a comedian or something. "What're you doing there, Sophie? Hanging out with the loser? Come and sit with us instead," He invites.

I swivel my head subtly to look at the girl, whose name is apparently Sophie. She shakes her head, and her flowing, gold hair ripples like waves on a seashore. "No, I'd rather stay here than hang out with you jerks." I whistle internally. It takes guts to stand up to them like that, and here she is, calling Keefe a jerk. Keefe flushes and walks out with his goons, pretending to be confident when I know he's embarrassed as hell.

I really, really want to fist bump her and say "good one, man!" but I can't blow my cover. Huh, ironic isn't it? Last night it seemed like such a good idea, but now here I am, wanting to blow it. Self control, I say. Self control.

"Fitz, right?" She says. "I know you can't hear me, but I hope you're doing ok. I'm sorry about those jerks." I pretend to look at her and shake my head, mouthing I can't hear you. She smiles sadly and says "I know."

Inside, I don't know what to think. Her warm, brown eyes are like melted chocolate. It's hard to concentrate. I feel my heart beating faster, but a few deep breaths cool it down again and I disguise my faint blush by reaching down to pick up my bag. I jab my thumb at the door and raise an eyebrow, an invitation to walk together to our next class. She jumps up happily and my heart jumps the same way. Her hand brushes against mine and I wonder what'll happen if I grab it, twining my fingers with hers. I shake my head slightly, my mind mutters self control. Self control, Fitz.

---

Life at school is different. Almost... better. It turns out Sophie is in almost every single one of my classes. Funny coincidence. I feel like there's a constant blush on my cheeks now. Not that she's any different. I haven't told Biana about any of it, but I'm guessing she already knows something's up between us by now.

Every day, I'm tempted to blow my cover. Every day, Sophie defends me against Keefe and his group of jerks. Every day, I want to grab her hand as we walk in the hallway.

It goes on and on, until today.

We're in english, waiting for Mr. Leto to arrive. Sophie's telling me about her new puppy, a small chihuahua named Iggy. Yup, the MarioKart character with the weird haircut. He was Biana's favorite. And then Keefe comes in and says, "Hey, Sophie. Why don't you quit hanging out with Mr. Loser over here and come with us?" His lips are pursed and he has water in his hair to make himself look more suave.

That's it. I'm done. My anger bubbles inside of me as I stand up and grab Keefe's arm, ripping it away from Sophie's chair. "Can you shut up? I'm trying to listen here." I leave Keefe standing there, his jaw practically touching the floor. I sit back down as if nothing happened and grab Sophie's hand. Sparks shoot up my fingers. "Keep going. Sorry for interrupting."

Sophie recovers from her wide-eyed trance and shakes her head, as if she's trying to comprehend everything, process everything. I'm also shaking, because I realize that I'm holding her hand. I let go but this time Sophie grabs it and brings it back. "I'm sor-"

This time she interrupts me. Not by speaking, but by pressing her lips to mine.