It's Not True (Kam) by @darkstalkerno

A/N: Warning- angst ahead!

Tam had never been more scared in his life. He was about to propose to Keefe, the only one who was ever able to open his heart, let him out of his shell, when suddenly he fell on the floor, limp. 

Tam, in a panic, called an ambulance immediately, and sat with him on the ride to the hospital. He watched as Keefe, the only person let in was wheeled into the emergency room on a stretcher. 

"Tam Song?" A nurse called out. Tam's head perked up, hopeful. Hopeful that the world wasn't so cruel as to take away the one thing that ever truly mattered.

"Mr. Sencen has requested to see you." she said smoothly. Tam got up immediately, dashing towards the room where Keefe was. 

"Heya Tam!" Keefe exclaimed, his voice raspy and quiet. 

"Keefe..." Tam replied, almost crying. "I'm just so glad you're okay." 

"Mr. Song, I'm going to have to tell you something about Keefe." the nurse said. Tam jolted up, not realizing that she was in the room until that moment. 

"We now know that Mr. Sencen has had an aneurysm. We'll have to perform a procedure in order to make him healthy, but there is a 60% chance of success. Would you like for us to per-"

"No!" Tam shot, then remembered he was in a hospital. "He could die! What are the chances that he'll survive if it stays?"

"Tam, hon," Keefe wheezed. "Let them do it. Either way, I could die, so why not do it on my own terms?"

Tam's face fell. "But-"

"Tam, please do this for me. Whether it's the last time, or if I survive, this is the one thing that I want for you to do right now."

"And if you do die?"

Keefe smiled weakly. "Then keep living without me."

~

The next day, when Tam woke up, he was alone. Just like before. Walking around the room, there were painful memories of Keefe all around the room.

Tam let a single tear escape, then that tear led to another, and so on, until Tam was sobbing on the floor.

"No." Tam whispered. "It's not true. He's not gone. He-" he choked on his own tears. 

~

Walking up to the stone sticking out of the dirt, Tam dropped flowers by it. Keefe's stone.

"I guess it really was true." Tam said, on the verge of tears for the 9th time this week. "But yet I've still managed to avoid it.

He could have been imagining it, but he swore he could feel Keefe's warmth as he cried.

421 words