Don't Let Go (Marellinh) by @darkstalkerno

⚠Warning: Depression, cutting, and attempted suicide are mentioned in this oneshot. These are sensitive topics to probably a lot of readers. I am not trying to glamorize these topics, so please let me know if it seems like I am.⚠

Linh's POV

"Here we go again," I thought, the crimson liquid from my arm flowing down my wrist onto the floor. "Didn't you promise Tam that you'd stop?"

Tam, my twin brother, found out that I had been cutting about a month ago. He took it relatively normally, but made me promise to never do it again. I promised, and that topic was never brought up again. 

It all started when the voice crept into my head. It was just another day at school, and the bullies were picking on me again, as usual. I was walking back home, and the voice told me, "You know they're right about you, right? You, the freak who can't control herself, the idiot who never does anything right, clinging to her brother like a leech. I know that you know that."

As much as I hate to admit it, I knew the voice was right. I had done all of those things. As the voice implanted itself deeper and deeper into my mind, I started cutting. I wrote down every insult those bullies told me and told it to myself later that night. I even started planning out how I would commit suicide. 

I knew that if I did it when Tam was at school, he'd notice I had left him and he would find me. So, I had planned on waiting for the one day where he wouldn't be at school to do it. I'd jump off the school roof, because the height of the school building 

This was it. The day I've been waiting for. Tam finally had to skip school, so he wouldn't notice where I'd gone. He wouldn't know that I'd gone to the school roof.

I looked carefully at my surroundings, then snuck up to the roof. One thing that I had always found stupid was how the railings were short enough for someone to simply step over. Oh well. That's all to my advantage today. I took a deep breath, took off my shoes and dropped a backpack, and stepped over the railing. I had never felt so... so free in my entire life. I sat there for a while, observing the sidewalk and the cars below, and then slid off.

"What the hell are you doing?!" someone's voice cried out to me. I felt the person grasp my hand, and pull me up back onto the roof, past the railing. "Why would you end your life?" I finally looked up, and saw my best and only friend, my crush, Marella Redek.

Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes when I saw that someone actually cared. Someone other than Tam.

"Don't let go," I whisper-shouted. "Please don't let go."

She pulled me into a hug silently, and after a few minutes had passed she responded. "Never. I won't ever let you go."

518 words