Chapter 7

Friday's were the best days for me. That meant the weekend ahead with no school, homework, or responsibilities. And most of all, the best races.

I spent most of my week days cooped up inside, doing schoolwork and my dad always trying to convince me into being like him. I snuck out mainly at night or in the early evening.

But now, the races were free game. I could always not have to worry about rules and just get out and be free. I could go to much more races on the weekends rather than during weekdays.

Whenever I went out in the weekends, my dad always assumed I was going out with friends, and he would let it slide and not get suspicious. And that's what I was planning on doing this weekend.

As was I planned every weekend.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are we going to leave soon," Caitlyn whined, playing with the tools in my toolbox next to her. I sigh and reach further into the engine to tighten a screw. I was trying not to get as messy and covered in grease as most days when I worked on the car, since I was planing on racing in a little while. But when your working on a messy car, your always going to get dirty.

"In a minute, I just have to fix up the car a little," I tell her, and she groans loudly. I glance over at her and shake my head, still keeping my hands in the engine. I work quickly and carefully, one wrong move and I could seriously damage the car.

"Why do you have to fix it now?" She moans. She leans her head back on the wall, sitting on her usual counter top as usual.

I push my way out of the car and look over at her, leaning my hands on the edge of the hood.

"You're the one who wanted to come to more races," I say, setting down the screwdriver and grabbing the wrench. I fix up a few more loose screws real quick and then shut the hood of the car. Caitlyn smiles and hops down off of the counter faster than ever. I wipe my dirty hands on a rag and set it down next to my toolbox. I get into the driver's seat of the car. Caitlyn hops into the passenger side and smiles at me as we take off out of the garage and down the street.

I can't believe she actually likes riding in the 'race car.' But, I suppose, since we're not driving it to school, and it's the weekend, she probably doesn't care.

As we pulled into the parking lot where we were meeting tonight, I noticed a new car, one I'd never seen here before. A black Dodge Dart. I wondered who the newbie was.

Once you've been into the group, you start to know all the racers and their cars, and when there's a new car, you tend to notice.

I pulled into an empty parking spot and fix up my messy blonde hair and grease stained shirt before opening the door and stepping out. A race was already happening, and everyone was crowded around the finish line, watching the cars swerve and race off around the parking lot. The track, which was basically the whole parking lot, was huge. The cars slammed into each other, trying to push each other off the track and into the sidewalk, but none of them falter.

Finally, one manages to push a few feet further than the other as they cross the finish line, and the group erupts into cheers and applause. I smile as I walk over to some people I know, like Cara, one of the only people who doesn't hate me after I beat them. Caitlyn stays near my side, watching the racers step out of their cars.

Cara glances over at me and smiles.

"Who's the newbie with the Dodge Dart?" I ask her. She glances over my shoulder at the Dodge neatly parked next to the other cars. Whoever parked it was a skillful driver.

"That's Aaron Walker's," she says with a smile, pointing to a group of guys hanging out near a gray Ford pickup truck. One of them stuck out to me, a new boy I've never seen before.

That must be Aaron.

He shoots a glance my way, and I look away. He had light brown hair, messy and tousled. His eyes are a bright blue, cutting through me. He has straight features, fitting perfectly on his face. His sleeves are rolled up to his elbows, revealing a tattoo of a bird on his left forearm. He wears loose, dark jeans and old sneakers., as well as a navy blue hoodie. He has this aura of mystery around him that's scares me and intrigues me at the same time.

"He's new?" I say, breaking my stare away from him. I could see out of the corner of my eye that he was still looking at me, probably sizing me up so that he could beat me in a race.

"Yep, he's good, too," Cara says. She looks over at him, but by now, the rest of the guys have got his attention back to them and they're all talking with each other now.

Suddenly, I wanted to race him. I wanted to beat his butt in a race. That was me, usual self-confident, tough Luna. But the way he looked at me, with those icy eyes, I was intimidated. I was challenged. And I never stepped down from a challenge.

"You should race him," Caitlyn elbows me, as if reading my mind. I turn and look at her like she was crazy.

"No!" I say, and walk back to my car while Caitlyn and Cara stayed back to talk. I walk to my car and open the hood. Something I did whenever I was nervous: checking on my engine.

I moved around in the engine, checking to make sure everything was in order. I have never seen my self so unconfident and out there, hidden back near my car. I never give up on a challenge. But this technically wasn't a challenge, his stare was just rather intimidating.

I was so focused on my car, I didn't even notice the person walking up beside me.

"Your a racer, right?" A low voice says beside me. I nearly jump and turn to see Aaron standing there beside me. He gives me a loose smile.

"You scared me to death," I say, turning back to my car and fixing up a few stuff.

Aaron leans down beside me, setting his hands on the edge of the car hood and looking in. That's one thing that made me upset, people I don't know/like touching my car. I roll my eyes and continue tuning up my car.

"This is surprisingly a nice engine for a car so outdated," he states, looking around under the hood of the car. I look over at him, and he gives me a lopsided smile. I roll my eyes and turn back to the car parts.

"I would appreciate it if you got my hands off of my 'outdated' car," I tell him, moving back and slamming the hood closed once his hands were off. He backs up, still smiling. I wanted to smack that smile right off his face.

I turn and look at him, my hands on my hips. I had just met him, and I already hated him. But there was something about him that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"What's your name?" He asks, jolting me out of my thoughts.

"Luna," I tell him, turning back to my car and opening the driver's door to check on the inside now. Gosh, was I really this nervous? For what anyway? It better not be because of him.., "Luna lake. And you are...?" I ask, glancing up at him as he follows me to the open driver's side door. I didn't even need to ask his name, but I didn't want to be creepy or anything.

"Aaron Walker," he states proudly, and I scoff. He looks down at me, and I turn the ignition. The Celica roars to life, the engine revving. I smile and lean back in the seat, and then turn to the side to look up at Aaron, who is now leaning his arm against the doorframe.

"I wonder if I can beat your car in a race," he says, faking a thinking look, tapping his chin and looking up at the sky. He kept glancing down at me to see if I noticed.

On the underside of his left forearm, I saw a jagged long scar all the way down the skin on his arm. He quickly puts his arm down when he sees me notice it. I wonder what had happened.

Aaron Walker infuriated me. He was so arrogant and mysterious, and I wanted to beat him so bad. I wanted to destroy his stupid Dodge Dart on the track, with him still in it, not sure how to win.

And he had just thrown out a challenge for me to accept and win. And I was up for it.

I stared into his blue eyes.

"You're on," I growl.