Chapter 43

"Crap..." I mumble under my breath, and turn around to hear footsteps above us. I look for a way to sneak out without getting noticed, and knew that there was no way. The footsteps were getting closer to the stairs.

Aaron stares up the steps, wide-eyed. He glance between me and the person above us, terror on his face.

"We have to get out of here," he mumbles. I nod and turn around, looking for some way out. My eyes scans over the prison walls and cells, looking, searching, for anything. Anything at all.

Then my eyes settle on a small window fixated near the top of the wall of the prison, leading right out back behind the station. A smile stretched across my face.

I grab Aaron's arm and point to the window. He follows my finger to see the small opening in the cement prison. A smile spreads across his face.

The footsteps get closer, and we both jog over to the window. Aaron is just tall enough to hop through and escape. I glanced back at the steps, knowing we may not enough time to escape. I may have to stay behind and pretend that I was here for a reason.

"Go," I mumble to Aaron, as he begins to start to pry the window off of its sill. I keep glancing nervously between him and the guard coming down the steps agonizingly slow.

Aaron starts to lift himself through the window, shaking and trying to fit through the small opening. I help him get through a little, practically shoving him through.

Once he's through, I know I won't have time to get out myself. The officer has practically caught me. I turn back to Aaron, and see his blue eyes staring at me through the window. I bite my lip.

"C'mon," he whispers to me, gesturing me to follow him. I glance behind me, and then turn back to him, shaking my head.

"No, I don't have time. Just go, Aaron. I'll meet you later," I say, leaning down and grabbing the glass window pane. He gives me a dry smile, and I shove the window back into place.

I watch as he gets to his feet and runs off, away from the station. I set my hand on the glass, and watched him disappear.