Chapter 38

"How dare you?!" My dad yelled at me, pacing back and forth in front of me as I shrunk lower into the couch cushion, my hands folded neatly in my lap. I avoided my dads gaze, his bright eyes boring into me harshly.

Tears stained my face, but I had soon wiped them away and gotten over it. My brother had gone out to take care of 'prisoners,' assuming he meant all the other racers at the race track.

My mother sat on the couch behind my dad, keeping her gaze off to her side. I could tell she felt betrayed, but their feelings meant nothing to me.

"How long has this been happening?" My dad, says, stopping his angry, nervous pacing and looking directly down at me. I glance up at him, but his eyes were too hurt and mad, and I looked away.

"A year," I mutter, harsher now. I lean back in the couch and cross my arms over my chest as my dad continued his pacing, throwing his hands into the air. My mom just looks up at him, confused.

I watch my parents as they steal quick glances at each other, before my dad turns back to me.

"I can't believe this," he says, putting his head in his hand, "behind my back all this time. All those lies. I knew something was up..."

I glance over at the door, avoiding everyone's eye contact. All these were true, my lies had all ended.

"Why?" My dad says, sounding more hurt than mad now. He looks over at me, and I look up at him this time, directly in the eyes. He had tears pooling in the corners of his eyes, and I couldn't look away. I stood up finally, ready to defend myself, and my freedom.

"Because I don't want to be a police officer! I want to feel like I can be myself, and when I was racing, I felt that! You just don't see it! You just dint understand!" I shout at him, standing at him in the eyes.

I'm praying silently that he will see, that he will understand. He stares into my eyes, and I can see the tears ready to fall. But then he looks away and shakes his head, wiping away the tears.

"It doesn't matter anymore," he mumbles, and I feel more irritated and sad then before, "it's all done now. This has got to end."

He turns and starts to walk away, with my mom standing up behind him and following him out. I watch,mast ounces and hurt.

"This isn't fair!" I shout after them, but they keep walking, "you can't make me be something I don't want to be!"

But they both walk away, and I am left standing alone in the living room, feeling hollow inside. I look around the living room, feeling tears pooling in my eyes. I needed to let out my anger, and get away.

So I ran out the door without another thought.