Chapter 35

The sun was setting as I walked to my home from the garage. I had driven home, parked the car in the garage, and then decided to walk home. And Aaron decided to walk home with me, leaving his car parked in the garage, next to mine.

He walked in silence, and so did I. I felt like everything I said or did would ruin it. Would ruin the relationship. It had seemed like everything was good again, but I didn't want to make a mistake and lose him.

"I'm sorry, I hope you know that," Aaron says, looking up at the sky as we walked. I glance up at him, but then back down at the pavement below, shoving my hands in my jacket pockets.

"I know, I am to-" I start to say, but he cuts me off. He looks me in the eyes this time, and they are startlingly blue, bluer than usual. I felt like I might go weak.

"No, I mean it, Luna," he speaks sternly, "I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for leaving you, for not letting you be free, for pressuring you, for not being there... I was just... Scared. I didn't want to lose you. Your practically the only thing I have left."

I pause, letting his words sink in slowly. My heart leaped at each word he said to me. I smile a little.

"Is that why you began racing?" I say finally, and she him looking down at the sidewalk below his feet.

He chuckles a little, like remembering a memory.

"Yeah. I admit it, I was scared to drive at first, but I wanted to feel closer to what my father used to live. Racing," he says the word 'racing' as if it were the only thing that mattered in the world.

"I guess we both have reasons for racing," I say, as we near my house. He sighs as we walk up the steps to the front porch. I stop at the doors and turn back to him, and he smiles lightly at me.

"Thanks," I say, and quickly kiss him on the cheek, before turning back and going inside the house and closing the door behind me.