Chapter 12

I pulled into the dirt road where we were racing today. Immediately, someone was already in my face about challenging me. I hated being this popular around the race track. And, I never backed down from a challenge.

"So, I heard you were the champion around here," the guy said. He was blonde and tall, and about in his twenties. He must've been new, because I had never seen him around here before.

I give him an indicating glare and a grin.

"Yeah, so what?" I say.

He leans against his car, doing the obvious pose to show how arrogant he is. I roll my eyes at him and lean back against my car.

"I bet I can beat you," he says. He stares at me with those gray eyes, and I know I could beat his gray Audi Sportback. Anyone could beat it. And I mean anyone.

"I bet you can't," I say, and turn to get into the driver's seat. I buckle my seatbelt , which I always do before a race, for safety, and pull up to the starting line of the dirt road.

The guy's Sportback pulled up next to me, and he revs his engine. But, by the way it sounds, makes the car seem weak and pathetic. I laugh at him and shake my head.

Stupid newbie. Has no idea what he's getting into.

This then reminded me of Aaron. I shake him out of my head, but he's still there. And, when I glance into the rearview mirror, I see him in the crowd, waiting for the race to start.

I pull my glance away from those bright eyes. But he was on my mind, or in my mind. The day he asked if he wanted to race with me, how he acted around me. He was all I could think about at the moment.

I was so into my thoughts, that I didn't realize the race had started. I slam my foot on the gas, trying to catch up to the Audi in front of me. I posed down the road as fast as my car could handle.

Stupid boy. I could've lost the race.

Luckily I was able to catch up. His Sportback was probably the easiest car to beat. I just had to pass him, and cross the finish line. The dirt splattered all over his car, making it sound like rain, I saw him slowing down once I passed him, and I smiled.

I crossed the finish line and smiled as I swerved the car around like I always do. I watch his Sportback cross the finish line after me. He climbed out of the car and started yelling at me.

I get out of the car and smile at him.

"I told you I could beat you," I tell him simply, and get back into my Toyota and drive to a parking spot. The guy just stands there, yelling at other people and getting mad. I laugh to myself, but then thought of Aaron again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone had left the race track, everyone but me and, surprisingly, and angrily, Aaron. He leaned against his car, on his phone.

I finished tuning my car a little and checking the engine, and then shut the hood. Aaron takes that as the time to talk. He slips his phone back into his jeans pocket and then looks over at me.

I glare at him as I walk over to the passenger side of my car to set my toolbox in the seat.

"You nearly cost me the race," I say to him harshly. I close the passenger side door and walk back over to the other side, and stand in front of him, near my car. I cross my arms over my chest and glare at him.

"I almost cost you the race?! Your the one who wasn't paying attention," he says, not harshly, but very stern. He looks me up and down, but then looks away, still leaning against his Dart.

"It's because I was thinking of-" I stop all of the sudden and blush a little. I look away and unfold my arms from over my chest.

Aaron seems interested in what I was about to say. He flicks his eyebrows up and takes a few slow steps forward, crossing his arms over his chest. I glance up at him, but avoid his eyes quickly. A smile crosses his face, and I know he knows.

"You were thinking of me, weren't you?" He asks, smiling.

I look up at him and shake my head angrily. I couldn't hide this for long. He already knew how to make me happy and frustrated at the same time.

"Your full of it, Aaron," I say. He raises his eyebrows up at me, still smiling.

"Admit that you like me already," he says. I glare up at him as he grins at me with that stupid, charming smile. It was hard not to smile at him. And no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that I hated him, I had this soft spot for him. I may say that I hated him, but according to my mind, I don't.

"I hate you," I tell him, moving closer to him slowly, "I hate your face, your arrogant nature, your voice, your car, and basically your very existence. You're conceited and snobby, and slightly mysterious. You drive like an old lady, and don't even get me started on the way you act around me. You may act like you own the road, like you're the greatest racer out there, but let me just tell you that-" but before I can finish my long ramble, Aaron leans down and presses his lips into mine, shutting me up.

He closes his eyes as I let out a squeak of surprise at his kiss. I blush, and this only makes me hate him more. He keeps his hands in his pockets, and mine are raised about to my stomach. His lips are soft against mine, separating at some spots, while others are pressed together. Slowly, my eyes close.

Aaron pulls away, and I find myself moving forward a step, as if I don't want us to separate. I open my eyes to see his piercing blue ones so close to mine. I back up a few steps, my smile fading.

"I hate you so much," I grumble. He smiles a little and shrugs.

"I know you do," he says. He walks past me and starts to head to his car. But I'm not done yet.

"You can't just kiss me and walk away, you loser!" I shout after him. I turn and start stomping off after him.

He stops, his door open, and turns and looks back at me.

"Yeah, I can," he says, and gets into his car. But before he closes the door, he turns back and looks at me, "wanna settle this with a race?"

I open my mouth to protest, but then stop and think it over. He waits for my answer patiently. I glance over at him, then away again.

"Fine," I mumble and stomp over to my car, parked next to his. He smiles as he closes the door and turns on the engine. I turn the car on and back up to our 'starting line.' I glance over at him, and he glances over at me.

He gives me a thumbs up, and we both take off.