Chapter 22

"This is getting too dangerous, Luna," Caitlyn says to me as we walk down the hallways of school. I had told her about the risks that were suddenly popping up, the fact that I knew my brother and dad were onto me.

"Caitlyn, I got this. I just don't know what to do to get them off my trail," I say, "and Aaron isn't helping at all."

She looks over at me.

"Maybe, I don't know, you should give up street racing?!" She says, sarcasm in her voice.

"No, Caitlyn! Racing gives me freedom, I need it!" I protest. She just rolls her eyes and stops at her locker, and I just stand next to her as she piles in books.

"Your parents are going to find out some time," she says, glancing over at me.

"Yeah, they already enrolled me into a police academy. I'm trying to reasons with them to cancel it, but they won't listen," I say, exasperated. She slams her locker door shut.

"I don't know what to do there," she says, continuing our walk down the hallway.

We continue for a few steps in silence. I watch people talking in crowds by lockers, some people bullying another kid, people walking, etc.

"How are things with Aaron?" Caitlyn asks, changing the subject and breaking the silence. She nudges her elbow into my arm. I roll my eyes, but a smile still crawls across my face.

"We're technically not dating yet, Caitlyn," I tell her. Truthfully, we weren't technically dating yet. We kissed, yes, but he had never asked if I wanted to be his girlfriend. He tried asking my dad, but that went down badly...

"You kissed him, like three times," she says, nudging me, "so, I guess you technically could be dating."

I smile a laugh. Surprisingly, Aaron made me happy. Even happier than I've been lately.