Chapter 33

The action didn't stop there. I tried my hardest to make a mental checklist of what was happening; Tony hunting me down, lying to my parents, keeping up my racing streak. And then one came out at the very end of the list.

My relationship with Aaron.

I laid on my bed that night, listening to the silence settling in the house. I can see a small streak of light from the peak in between the curtains, playing lightly on the ceiling above me. I stared at that sliver of light, squinting my eyes at it.

Why was I trying to avoid Aaron? Why can't I trust people? What was wrong with me?

Aaron had tried to apologize, to make this better, but you had pushed him away like the stubborn person you are, I think to myself.

I sigh in frustration and roll over onto my right side, staring at the empty space in he middle of my room, and the bookshelf pressed against the opposite wall.

It was probably too late to get him back. He would just blow me off like I did to him, and we may even break up. We might already be broken up.

And I began thinking of why I was acting like this. I remembered that one talk I had with Caitlyn, about why I ran off when we kissed in his car. I had said I was scared of my feelings for him.

But what did that mean? That I was scared to fall for him because I thought something might happen? He might break my heart?

I pulled the blankets up over my chin and tried to think of a valid reason for all this drama. The comforter was fuzzy and wam against me.

And I couldn't find one.