Chapter 8

Cara mapped out the track we will take around the parking lot. It was just one big circle. Aaron nodded on as Cara showed us the way. After Cara was done, Aaron and I both walked back to our cars.

Aaron walks beside me, but not so close to me. We didn't say anything for a while, and once we neared our cars, he finally spoke up.

"Good luck," he says as we spilt off in opposite directions towards are vehicles, "you'll need it."

I stop walking and watch him walk off to his car. I ahead him so much, you had no idea... And I was going to beat his butt in a race.

"When I'm through with you, you'll need a hospital," I mumble to myself as I get into my car and start the engine. I shift the car into reverse and back out of the parking spot, and then turn it to drive and speed to the starting line.

The crowd has already started to gather at the starting line, and I had to maneuver my way through the crowd to get to the start.

Aaron's Dart and my Celica wait side-by-side at the beginning of the track. Aaron glances over at me, and I can see him looking at me out of the corner of my eye. But I don't acknowledge him, and he turns back to the lot.

I rev my engine. Cara stands in between the cars with a flag in her left hand. She lifts it high above her head. I take a few deep breaths, my foot set against the gas pedal. I stare at that checkers flag, never breaking my gaze away.

Then, Cara waves the flag downward, and I push my foot into the gas pedal so fast. My car spins its wheels, screeching a little, before I take off past Cara. I can see the streaks of black that my tires leave when I glance in the mirror.

Aaron's car screeches a little at the finish line, but it finally gets free and starts catching up to me. I glance in the rearview mirror and see his car speeding up fast. I never expected him to be this good.

His car is approaching me quickly.

I set my foot on the brake lightly, slowing down just a little. Just enough for Aaron to catch up. Once his car is about as level with mine, I turn the wheel and slam into his car. His Dodge flies off the parking lot and into the sidewalk at the turn. I turn the wheel to the right fast, completing the turn and crossing the finish line.

I swerve my car around in a circle after the end and turn to face Aaron's Dart as it crosses the finish line. I throw the car into park and step out, leaning my arms on the doorframe and smiling a fake smile at Aaron.

He gets out of his car and glares at me. But then, he shakes his head as a smile crosses his face. My smile starts to fade a little.

"You're not bad, Luna," he tells me, and gives me a thumbs up. He gets back into his car and drives past me to put the car in a parking spot. I watch as his car drives past me, and when I turn back around, the crowd is approaching me with smiles on their faces. I smile as Caitlyn and Cara walk over to me.

He angers me so much...

"That was amazing, Luna!" Caitlyn says, laughing and smiling, "your probably one of the best drivers here."

"That's big! Especially for a girl," Cara adds. She smiles at me, and then turns and walks back to her blue Charger. I watch after her until she gets in and drives off out of the parking lot.

I turn and see Aaron getting out of his Dart, which is now parked, and meeting up with his guy friends, who all clap him on the back. He turns and glances back at me, gives me a small smile, and then turns back to his other friends.

He only made me more mad. He was so arrogant, so stupid, so...

I smile a little, and then turn away.