05| adventure

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts. "

- Albert Einstein

05| adventure

I run like I've never run before in my life. I run like my life is at stake because, obviously, it is. I run and run. I don't even try to see if Oliver is with me. I don't even know which way I'm going.

"I knew it was-!" The rest of the mugger's sentence drowns out in the distance. I don't hear the rest.

I keep running. My feet hurt, my heart pounds, and I'm sweating. I need to stop. I need to rest my feet. I need to catch my breath. But I keep running.

I run until I see a streetlight. I slow down a little just to see if Oliver is anywhere near me. I don't see him, but I keep running.

After five more minutes, I stop and lean against a lamp post to catch my breath. God knows where I am now.

I look around. I can see a neon board somewhere far away. It must be some kind of shop. I will head that way, but first I need to know where Oliver is.

Before I can call him, I hear footsteps and I see him, "There you are."

I straighten up and glance at him.

"Did you have a nice adventure?"

I had that coming.

"I have never seen a real revolver before so yeah, nice adventure," I shrug like it's no big deal.

Oliver steps towards me, "And if we had been killed, it would be nice too, right?"

He is really angry. I gulp.

Oliver steps forward until he is looking straight down at me, "And you still have the tots."

I look down. And yes, I still have the tots clutched in my hand.

"Umm, yes. Want one?" I ask him.

Oliver lets out a breath. He glares at me. I look up at him.

"That will be the last adventure you'll have tonight," Oliver says, threatening me, "You are going home right now, and I don't want to hear a thing."

"I didn't say anything," I roll my eyes.

"You won't have a chance to," Oliver says and goes for my wrist.

I hiss in pain.

Oliver stops, "What was that?"

"That's because you thought it was nice to get mental support by grabbing my wrist like it's your lifeline."

Oliver frowns and then he holds up my hand so he can get a look. I look at my wrist too. It looks pinkish.

Oliver caresses his finger over my wrist, soothing my pain. I swallow because I'm feeling these little tingles shooting up in my body. Oliver continues to go on in circles with his thumb. His lips turn into a deeper frown and his eyebrows are knitted.

"You should get ice. It will turn blue in the morning," Oliver says it like he is accusing me.

Then he looks up and meets my eyes, "You should have said something."

"And kill us both?"

Oliver looks down, still frowning and keeps massaging. I think that's enough so I say, "Let go, Oliver. It's nothing."

Oliver glares at me then he snaps, "Of course, it's nothing! Is anything ever something to you? You call me in the middle of the night for a midnight adventure. What sane person does that? I ask you what's wrong. It's nothing! We almost get mugged and killed. Does it mean anything? It's no biggie! You have a freaking bruise on your wrist because of me, and guess what? It's nothing!"