Chapter Eleven: By Fire Means Or Foul

You jolt awake, your alarm ringing in the background. You take in your surroundings. Same old couch. Same old TV. Same old house. You breathe a sigh of relief. You're still shaking slightly from that nightmare. Can you even call it that? It was definitely not your nightmare, at least until the murderer approached you. You don't even want to say his name right now.

You sit up and finally realize you're absolutely soaked in sweat. Time to shower. You turn off the TV that was still playing YouTube in the background and hop in the shower, but after washing your hair, you get a really bad feeling. You wash your body as quickly as you can and towel yourself off at lightspeed, getting ready in record time. You barely have time to pull your shoes on before you're already running out the door.

You start smelling smoke two blocks away from the attraction. You run faster, and turn the corner to finally see it, ablaze with fire. You come to a halt. It's burning. You don't know what to do. Then, you see it. An old back door that Mike often exited from for his smoke breaks is slightly ajar, and you don't see fire inside. You begin running again. You know what you have to do.

You reach the door, and it's cold to the touch. It looks like the fire hasn't touched the small break room yet. You push it open and enter. The smoke immediately makes you want to cough, but you push forward. You need to save him. You're not sure why, but you do. You open the break room door into the rest of the attraction and are instantly hit with a wave of heat. You see fire everywhere. Where could he be?

"Springs?!?" You hear no response, just the angry crackle of flames. "Springs!?!!" You still hear nothing, but something reflecting off the flames catches your eye. A vent! It's untouched by the flames.

You run to the vent and crawl inside. It's a tight fit, and you don't know which way to go, but you have enough space to be on your hands and knees. You know how dangerous this could be, but you don't care. The metal bottom of the vent is burning your hands and knees, but you persist. You begin to crawl towards where you think you remember the office is, where you know he'll be. You begin to smell something horrid as you get closer, and accidentally take a wrong turn, and end up in the arcade room. The smell gets stronger.

As you're getting out to turn around, your foot squishes into something soft. You lift up your foot and see a pile of guts and mangled rotten flesh. You open your mouth to scream, but can't because of the smoke. The flesh looks old and it was ripped into chunks. You realize it's William's body, torn out of Spring's suit. Or what's left of it. You decide to leave it and head back into the vent, the flames moving closer.

You make sure you make the right turn this time and end up right outside of the office. The building is getting hotter by the minute. You step into the door and spot him. Springs is lying face up, suit was torn beyond repair. He's even missing a couple of fingers and almost a whole ear, he's also missing his jaw. He might have had to rip it off to get to the skull underneath. His eyes are open, but he's just gazing at the ceiling. You yell for him, but he can't hear you. You run into the office, the flames closing in on the both of you.

You kneel over his torso and he looks at you. He blinks. He doesn't look like he's all the way there, so you shake him. "Springs! We have to go! Hurry!" He blinks again, then looks at the flames outside the door. His eyes widen, and you have to jump back to avoid being head-butted. He looks like he's trying to say something, but you don't think he can speak anymore without his jaw. He stands up quickly and grabs you. You're scared for a moment, but he throws you over his shoulder and you cover your mouth with your shirt to keep from breathing in smoke. He approaches the emergency exit, which he boarded up, and kicks it down, the flames licking the walls around you both.

He emerges at the front and you spot a small patch of forest on the side by the dumpster. "Go over by the trees, we'll have more cover!" He listens and runs to the forest. You can hear sirens in the distance. He enters the trees and crouches behind a bush, setting you down softly. You both watch from behind the bush as a fire truck approaches. "What are we gonna do now?" You ask him, but he doesn't respond. You look at him, and he holds out his hand. In his palm sits a small metal box with some wires poking out. You pick it up and notice a little carving on the corner. It says 'VOICE BOX SPRING BONNIE' in small script.

"This is your voice?" You ask. He simply nods. "What do you want me to do with it?" He doesn't respond. You open the little door on the box and see a simple setup of wires. You see two of the wires are frayed and one is broken. "Do you want me to fix it?" He nods. You begin to hear the voices of the firefighters. One calls out, "Hey, is there someone over there? Show yourself!" You freeze, but Springs reacts. He pushes you further behind him. "But I can't leave you behind!" He shakes his head and pushes you again. "I will come back Springs, I promise!" You take off running, and when you glance back, you see Springs has assumed a sprawled out position on the ground.

Your eyes water, but you run faster, clutching his voice box in your hand.