Time For Church

Lily was sat in her usual seat the following morning, buried deep in paperwork that her family lawyer had sent for her. As she scanned through the files she huffed in frustration. The last thing she needed was to have to sift through legal files.

Having not touched her breakfast she decided to pour herself into the paperwork in hopes she could get out of her own head for a few hours.

If she was paying attention to her surroundings she would of seen Tommy Shelby, making his way into the building. Ignoring the hotel staff as he brushed by them he made a beeline for Lily who had her hands pressed against her neck.

"More paperwork?" He asked in a slow drawl.

Lily looked up and blinked, surprised at his sudden appearance.

"Something like that" and she watched as he took off his cap, coat and took the seat across from her. Lily began clearing up her papers from his side of the table.

"More research?" And he nodded to a waiter from behind her to bring him a drink.

"Not today" she sighed as she rubbed her neck "Legal papers regarding my families estate, the family lawyer wants me to sign them but I prefer to know what I'm signing" she told him.

Tommy nodded in understanding before taking out a cigarette from his pocket and lighting it, the whole times his eyes never leaving her.

"Why are you here Mr Shelby?" She asked softly, as she lifted her tea and sipped.

Without a word he leaned into his pocket and pulled out her earings and placed them on the table. Lily completely forgot that he had taken them and was grateful that he had returned them. They where her mothers and meant a lot to her.

"We need to talk about the next part of our plan" he mumbled before stopping and letting the waiter put his glass down on the table.

Lily bit her lip and placed her pen down, it was strange to her that he was coming to her alone and not involving the rest of the family.

"I'm assuming this part of the plan has been agreed with your family?"

Tommy watched as her hand slipped down from her neck and pushed a piece of stray hair in front of her eyes.

"They've agreed to it"

"Okay, so what is it?" She asked.

Lily watched as he placed his hands on his lap and leaned back. There was an air of confidence that he had which Lily admired. There wasn't a thing in this world that intimidated the man across from her.

"Tomorrow we will be visiting the church. We will be an engaged couple looking for help from the church for our future children"

Lily raised an eyebrow at the plan. This meant she would have to play a loving fiancé to a man that she had only known all of five minutes. Tommy was so cool as he explained the plan, like he had done it before.

"You can do that right?" He demanded after growing impatient at her silence.

"Of course" she breathed before looking back up at him "What happens after?"

Tommy smirked before leaning forward so only they could hear.

"I'll do what is required"

—-

Lily stood in front of the mirror and admired her outfit. Over and over again she had thrown dressed across the room, desperately trying to find a dress that said "engaged" but in the end she settled on a soft pink dress. Feminine and friendly.