Maddening

Arthur took a step back to let Tommy pace the office. The tension in the room was palpable as his brother began working his way through his new found information. Tommy had never been a trusting person, he had chosen to be guarded ever since his father had left their mother.

"Do you know this copper?" Arthur asked in hopes his brother would say something to ease the tension in the room.

"No" he spat back as he stopped.

Why would Lily be calling a copper in the middle of the night? Especially after being in his bed. Oh, he felt sick as he leaned on the desk. Was this a set up? Had she been sent to lure him in so that he could be taken down?

Had everything that had happened between them been a lie? Tommy remembered what she felt like in his arms last night and he closed his eyes to steady himself.

"Tommy, the guns? Shit!" Arthur yelled as he slammed his fist against the wall. "Bet they've fucking got em Tommy!"

Tommy couldn't focus as his head swirled.

"You're losing your head aren't you Tommy?" Arthur mumbled from behind him.

His eyes still closed he wished he was on his own so that he could come to terms with this. All he needed was time to think, time to figure this out.

"Yes brother"

"Well let's go get the truth brother! Fucking come on" and he patted Tommy's back, riling him up.

Tommy stood up and pulled a cigarette from his pocket and lit it. As he inhaled the comforting smoke he tried to think of all the innocent reasons that she would be in touch with the police but he couldn't think of any.

"Let's go Arthur"

——

Tommy stood outside as Arthur slipped into Lily's house without an invitation, grabbed her from the kitchen and flung her over his shoulder. The whole time he could hear her screams but he was to deep into his rage to feel any guilt for what was happening.

Lily screamed and tried to lash out at Arthur but it was no good, he was holding onto her legs so tight it was starting to hurt. Lily didn't let that stop her as she tried to pull her legs from him.

"Tommy what the hell?" She hissed as Arthur began moving across the street, her hair dangling wildly infront of her.

"It's best if you keep quiet love" Arthur shouted up at her.

Lily tried to look at Tommy but he was avoiding her, his gaze lazily looking forwards but his clenched jaw was giving him away.

"Arthur put me down!" And she thrashed out again "This isn't funny!"

"No love it's not" he mumbled as he ducked into the house, passing John who was holding the door open with a weary look towards Tommy.

Lily was placed down into a chair at their table and she began pushing her hair out of her face, trying to see them. Never in her life had she been treated in such a despicable way and she was ready to let them have it.

Glaring up at Arthur she was taken by surprise as he pulled her hands behind her back. Panicking she tried to pull them away but he was too strong. Instead she looked to Tommy, silently begging for him to say something.

"Arthur do you have to do that?" John said as he came forward.

"Yes brother" Arthur mumbled, pulling the rope right around her hands and letting it bite into her wrists. Arthur placed a knife on the table to warn her what would happen if she ran.