Serenity

Lily didn't know what to do with herself as she stood in a yard with Ada and Michael. There where people everywhere at they excitedly waited for the nuptials to begin.

Letting her eyes wonder Lily sat saw a small isle had been set up in front of them, decorated in large white winter flowers. Trying to imagine herself getting married, especially to someone she didn't know was impossible.

"That's her" Michael whispered as they both spotted a young smiling woman with dark brown hair, her face covered partly with a white veil.

"I'm so nervous and it's not me getting married" Lily whispered back.

Michael took her hand and squeezed before quickly letting it go knowing that they had new boundaries now.

"I can't bloody wait to see our Johns face" Ada grinned "It'll be the shock of his life" and she clapped her hands with excitement.

As if Ada has summoned him John was suddenly making his way down to the yard flanked by Tommy, Arthur and group of men she didn't recognise. The uncertain look on Johns face was enough for Lily.

—-

"Are you crying?" Michael whispered as they stared ahead at the couple kneeling forward.

Lily quickly wiped her lone tear away "No" she replied childishly.

John looked in awe at his new bride when her face was revealed. From where Lily stood the pair seemed like a match made in heaven and this was deduced from one look they had shared.

Soon the short wedding came to a stop and everyone was moved to a place called Charlie's yard. Lily was listening to Ada while Michael slipped away to get them a drink. Lily loved that the wedding was done outside, they where so close to the water here and she could see the winter sun reflecting off of it.

"What did you think?" Polly asked with a small smirk as she stepped two both of them, a small cigarette between her dainty fingers.

"It was so sweet" Lily said "Esme is absolutely beautiful"

"That she is" Polly agreed as she watched her son make his way over. Before Michael reached them Polly pulled Lily away, telling Ada to keep Michael preoccupied.

By the looks both women shared, this was planned.

"Polly what's happening?" Lily asked as they came to a stop.

"I don't have much time but listen, there's something not right with this Sarah character-"

"What do you mean?" Lily asked as she looked around to make sure nobody could hear them. Lily hadn't thought of anything sinister when it came to Sarah.

"Ada and I know everyone that lives in Small Heath then suddenly this woman appears. Have you ever seen these parents she talks about?" Polly hissed before taking a deep drag of her cigarette "can you do some digging? I want to know everything about her" and she threw her cigarette into the water.

"Yes of course I will-"

"Don't tell Tommy, not until we know something okay?" And Polly grabbed her arm.

"What is he asks?" Lily hissed, afraid that she would have to keep a secret from Tommy, the man who could see right through her.

"He wont, come on let's go back before we start to look suspicious" As Lily turned around she could see Michael side eyeing them as Ada tried desperately to keep his attention.

After a few drinks Lily forgot all about the cold and stood talking with Michael was who incredibly keen on getting Lily's opinion on Sarah. Thankfully a few of the Lee boys had come over to introduce themselves.