Tender Kisses

Lily lifted her head slowly, almost certain that her ears had deceived her. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, the only light coming in from the window she saw that he was awake. Only just.

"Oh" she breathed as she sat up straight "Let me to get the nurse"

"No" he grabbed at her hand "Don't"

Sitting back down next to him she squeezed his hand "Do you need anything?"

"A drink" he mumbled as he stared to sit up, his chest on fire as he moved. Lily quickly poured him a cup of water and passed it to him, her hands shaking.

Tommy took a careful sip and passed the cup back already feeling the lull of unconscious coming back. Fighting it, he wanted to speak to her, to check that she was okay.

"I'm okay" she breathed with a smile smile as she kissed his hand. "You, not so much Tommy"

"I feel like hell" he mumbled as he placed his head back, the pain almost unbearable. Being shot once was enough but he was pretty certain he had been shot three times.

"Let me to get the nurse. You must be in so much pain" she begged as she looked down at his completely bandaged chest, a flash of memory hitting her of his blood pouring through her fingers.

"No" he replied coldly before softening, realising that his pain was getting the better of him "Just stay here with me"

Lily nodded as she looked down at her hand in his, where it had been just as the gunmen has stormed the restaurant.

"Is he dead?" Tommy mumbled, his voice dropping as his fought sleep once more.

"No" she mumbled "Your brothers are looking for him now" Lily began circling his hand with her index finger, trying not to look into his eyes "They think he was hurt"

"Good" he said "Come here" and he patted the side of the bed.

"No Tommy. I don't want to hurt you" she said she shook her head "Ill sit here so you can rest"

Lily watched as his eyes fluttered and she realised he was really fighting to stay awake.

"You won't. Come here, please" he huffed letting her know that he didn't have the energy to argue. Tommy Shelby very rarely said please so she knew she had to accommodate his wishes.

Lily quickly stood up and walked around to his left side which was less affected , kicked off her heels and began to get on the bed with him. Gently she lay at his side, careful not to touch his chest and she placed her hand on his arm.

"I forgive you by the way" she whispered.

"I know I heard" Lily didn't have to look up to know he was smirking. This was her first sign that he was going to be okay and she was so grateful.

——

The following morning Lily was pacing the room again. Tommy hadn't woken up since their brief conversation and she was starting to lose it in this small room.

As if a saving grace was sent to her Polly walked into the room with a newspaper under her arm and a cup of tea for Lily.

"He woke up last night Polly" she said as she took the cup and returned to her seat next to him.

Polly shared a small smile and took the seat across from her "I knew he would. Takes a lot to take Tommy down" and she leaned back into her chair.

"Why don't you go home and get some sleep? I can take it from here"

Lily thought about it and wanted nothing more than to sink into a warm bath and float away for a few hours. Trusting Polly to let her know if anything happened she sent Polly a warm smile before taking one last look at Tommy.