Jealousy

Around lunch time the betting den was alive with the comings and going of working men placing their bets. Lily had watched from afar as they poured in, jostling each other as they tried to get to the top of the line. A few of the men had thrown her funny looks but she pretended to bury her head in her files, afraid that one of them may speak to her. Tommy's men had been kinder today, a few of them even offering to make her tea but she refused, afraid to bring any unwanted attention her way.

Tommy didn't return that afternoon but Lily found herself grateful that he didn't. Whenever he was around she felt her senses take leave. Instead, she focused on the mountains of paperwork that was quite frankly a mess. There where invoices and ledgers, accounts and old accounts that had no collaboration. Whoever had done the job before didn't have a clue and if she was to put a bet on it, it would be Arthur.

Soon it was 5pm and Ada, Michael and Isiah came bounding in with big grins on their faces.

"Alright love?" Isiah asked as he took a seat in front of her desk.

"Yes thank you, what are you all doing here?"

Ada laughed and picked up Lily's coat "It's time to go, c'mon love we're going to the pub to celebrate your first day"

Lily raised an eyebrow at Michael who just smirked back. Locking up behind them they all made there way to the Garrison. Lily listened as they all excitedly spoke about the up and coming fair, she noted just how normal they all seemed together and wondered if they where great friends.

Lily never had a chance growing up to have friends, her mother was to paranoid that they would become a bad influence on her so her childhood had been excruciatingly lonely. It was just nice for her to feel involved with this group.

"You're quiet" Michael whispered as they slipped into the pub door.

Lily smiled softly "I'm just a little tired. I've had my head in numbers all day" and she took off her coat as soon as she was met by the warm fire in the corner of the pub. All four of them took there seats in front of it with Ada offering to get the first round.

"So, how was your first day working for the Blinders eh?" Isiah asked as he straddled his chair with a mischievous grin across his face.

Lily laughed "It was....."

"Boring?" Ada asked as she joined the table with four whiskeys in her grasp.

"You could say that" and she thanked Ada for her drink, grateful for the delicious liquid that she hoped with soothe her frazzled brain.

"How come you decided to stay then?" Isiah asked "I thought a girl like you would of been off as soon as she could" and he nudged Michael, asking for agreement.

Ada rolled her eyes and took a sip of her drink.

"Tommy offered me a job and....I just took it. There's not really much for me in Warwickshire anymore" and she smiled so she didn't make the situation awkward for Isiah, he really was just trying to get to know her.

"Well we're glad to av' ya!" Michael said as he slung his arm over Lily's shoulders and pulled her in for a side hug. Wide eye'd she looked at Ada who was trying desperately not to laugh. Lily wondered if this was normal, to casually invade someones space without warning.

---

It had been a hard fucking day for Tommy as he began setting plans in motion for the importation of illegal substances to and from Birmingham. Arthur and John had pretty much been hovering around him all day as they slipped from meeting to meeting, trying to avoid breaking into enemy lines to early.