Midnight Kiss

Michael had turned up a few minutes later and disrupted the staring contest that was happening between Tommy and Lily by slamming his hat down in between them and rubbing his hands together. Michael was fully aware of what was happening and wanted to get in the middle of them as quickly as possible.

Lily was the first to break away and look up at Michael. Tommy watched as she smiled warmly up at his cousin. A smile that he had never received.

"Morning Lily" he grinned as he took a seat in the middle of them and began pouring himself a tea.

"Morning" she replied, her eye's catching Tommy's for a brief second and she was surprised by the glare on his face. The man was an enigma of emotions and she was wondering if she would ever work him out.

"Your car has been taken away. Mrs Roberts did a good number on it. The tires had been slashed too" he said as he brushed her hand to get the sugar pot that sat in front of her.

Lilly nodded and tried to hide the fear that was building in her stomach. Mrs Roberts was only targeting her and she wondered why.

"I've got a replacement coming once this is all over" she replied as she began folding up the paper.

Michael stopped what he was doing and looked between Lily and Tommy "You'll return home?"

As she picked up her cup and sipped she wondered what it would be like to return home and how different that big house would feel.

"Yes, back to my house in Warwickshire"

"But you don't have anything there for you!" he flustered as he tried to catch her eyes.

Lily shrugged and began to stand up from the table, today she was going to do a little more exploring in Small Heath in hopes that some fresh air would do her good.

"Michael haven't you got a job to do with our John?" Tommy spat as he leaned back into his chair with a cigarette dangling from his mouth.

"Am waiting for John" Michael glared, irritated that his cousin had butted into the conversation and pulled it away from what he wanted to know.

Lily dusted down her dress and picked up her coat that was on the back of the chair, trying to ignore the two men who had both turned to stare at her.

"Where are you going?" demanded Tommy.

"I'm meeting Ada" she huffed as she slipped her coat on and pulled out her long hair from the back "I'll see you both later" and before either of them could reply she slipped out of the kitchen and out the back door.

---

Tommy threw his cigarette into the cut and surveyed the murky water with trepidation. As he pulled cold air into his lungs he felt the oxygen flex within his chest and for the first time since last night he felt like he could breathe.

Just below him was Arthur and John as they pulled Mrs Roberts from his uncle Charlie's boat, her face covered with a dark bag.

"Calm fookin' down" Arthur hissed as he pulled the woman off the boat and into the waiting car.

John looked up at the bridge Tommy was peering down on them from and nodded. It was time to finish this once and for all.

Once this was over Lily Adler would leave his life and everything would go back to normal.

Tommy pushed off from the bridge and pulled his cap further down over his eyes. As he swaggered across the bridge he wondered what Lily was doing and then cursed himself for letting his thoughts run wild.