Medicine

The room that Lily sat in was completely clinical and cold as she waited for the doctor to return. Having sought a private appointment she had opted for the evening to avoid anyone seeing her. It was embarrassing enough.

"Miss Adler" her doctor said as he breezed back into the room with a closed file.

Lily had known Doctor Marston since she was a child and she knew that he was the best. Eyeing him she waited until he took a seat across from her.

"You're not pregnant" he said which Lily jumped at, she hadn't even thought about that. A deep heat spread across the back of her neck as she nodded. This was just a routine check up after his previous visit regarding her insomnia. Why was he checking her for a pregnancy?

"You're severely anemic Miss Adler, this could be why you're experiencing low moods and tiredness" and he gave her a kind smile not one to judge her.

Lily leaned back into the comfy chair, aware that she had been neglecting herself recently. Everything that had been happening with Tommy had stifled her appetite and she had forced herself to work hard in hopes that she could forget him.

"I'll make sure to take better care of myself" she smiled in hopes that she could leave soon.

"There's a prescription waiting for you at reception. Please come back in three months and we will review your levels again"

Lily had said good bye and made her way, shakily down the corridor. Having felt a moment of terror she realised just how stupid she had been.

—-

Lily slipped out of her car and told Albert that she would be back in a few hours. Ignoring the stares that she got she made her way for he familiar pub that held some of her favourite memories.

Slipping into the pub she let her eyes search the smokey room. Harry behind the bar nodded at her with surprised eyes and she smiled back. Just as she was about to try the snug she heard a familiar voice.

Pushing open the door she stood there and waited for him to look up.

"Hello Michael!" She hissed, her hands on her hips as she looked down at her friend who was enjoying a game of cards with Isiah.

"Ah shit" he mumbled as he looked up to his friend

"Isiah out" she barked, her hand pointing towards the door but her eyes trained on Michael.

Scrambling out of his chair he grabbed his cap and darted out, without a single word to either of them.

"Lily listen" Michael started as he stood up. Lily pushed him back down and took a seat next to him, her glaring eyes never leaving his.

"You listen to me Michael Grey. If you ever double cross me again so help me god your life won't be worth living"

Michael grimaced under her scowl "Bloody Tommy told me he would smooth it over" he mumbled which earned him a slap on the arm "Ow!"

"You're lucky that's all your getting. After seeing Tommy sat there instead of you...I wasn't thinking pretty things about you Michael"

Michael took a gulp of his beer "Well it all worked out in the end didn't I? I did you both a favour"

"I wouldn't say it's all worked out" she mumbled as she began taking her coat off.

Michael stood up and called into Harry to send a bottle of whiskey and two glasses through.

—-
Michael blinked a few times as Lily explained what had happened when Tommy turned up, she had kept out the sexual notions of their day but he got the gist when she saw that his cheeked had a lovely scarlet color across them.