Racing Heart

Tommy had stumbled into his room later on that night with his jacket dragging across the floor. As soon as Michael left in order to control his rage Tommy had sank himself into a bottle of whiskey.

If he hadn't? Well Michael simply wouldn't be breathing.

Scoffing to himself he stumbled onto his bed and began taking off his shoes, his hands fumbling with the laces. As he kicked them across the room he fell onto his side fully clothed, his eyes shutting instantly.

Tommy's heart and head where racing as he willed himself to sleep. If it wasn't booze it was his pipe that lulled him into the darkness but neither would help today.

All he could think about was Lily, the way her soft lips had been against his, her soft laugh, her big green eyes watching him. Remembering her in his bed was even harder to push away but he managed it. Then his thoughts turned dark and went to Michaels hands all over her body, his smug lips touching her delicate pale skin.

Rolling over to his back he looked up at the ceiling and wondered how Polly would react to this mess. Tommy had tried to respect her by ignoring Michael but now it was near impossible.

—-

The dark clouds looming over Small Heath the following morning matched Lily's mood perfectly. Since being made aware of Tommy's date this weekend she had been glum. Even though she had no right to his life she had hoped that there was something between them.

It was completely fitting that the weather matched her new mood. As she slipped into the betting den she walked by all the men who where excitedly talking about the upcoming races, arguing on who was the best to place a bet on.

Even Arthur was getting in on the action as he began telling the men which horses to sway the people on. All to make more money this weekend.

Tommy was sat at his desk on the phone when she finally took her seat, she had hoped earlier that morning that he would be out on business. It was hard to focus when he was around her.

Ben was the first to come to her desk with a cup of tea and a big smile "Morning Lily, you going to the race this weekend?"

Lily smiled warmly and thanked him for the drink "Yes I'm going with Michael, what about you?"

Ben shook his head "Nah I'm working this weekend. Got to make sure people but there bets on!" And he winked before leaving her and heading back to his own desk where Arthur was telling a story about him and a lady friend.

"Lily" Tommy shouted from his office.

Lily gritted her teeth and rolled her eyes, grateful that he couldn't see her. Fixing her face she stood up and made her way into his office.

Tommy was dressed impeccably in a dark navy suit with a fresh hair cut. Attractive.

"Yes?" She asked, her eyes surveying his hands as he pulled out a cigarette and lit it. Tommy's face never gave much away but his hands did, whenever he was stressed or out of his depth he would light up a cigarette.

Clearing his throat he pointed to a file at the end of his desk "Can you look through these and make sure the costs are correct before I sign?"

Lily walked closer to his desk and picked up the file, her perfume swaying into him and stunning him for a second.

"Is this for the new office?" She asked as she flicked through the thick document.

"Yes it is. I need it doing by tomorrow. We're closing the deal in the morning"

Just looking at the file Lily knew this would take her all night. Lily had a feeling that he was doing this on purpose, possibly for ignoring him from the previous evening.