Chapter Sixteen

Three days.

I had already been there for three days and I couldn't take it anymore. If I stayed there for another few days I might just have to shoot something.

"Psst. Sienna!" I woke up and looked around. A pair of eyes stared back at me. Kiersten.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"I don't know. Dawn. C'mere, I've been working on this for a while and it finally budged."

"What budged?"

I followed her to the wall across the room and watched as she pulled out a flashlight and shone it on a dingy window.

"W-where'd you get that light?"

"Bill dropped it a while before you came here. Look. I kinda got the window open."

It was a tiny window near the ceiling that probably opened onto grass and land.

I grinned, hope filling me.

"You're a genius."

Our fingers worked at the thick boards that covered the window until one was pulled clean off.

"Two more to go." I muttered knowing that my hands my hands would be red and peeling with splinters. But adrenaline and anticipation coursed through me, replacing my blood with the drive to get out of here.

And once one board was down, another came down slowly after and then the last one that meant freedom.

But soon later we realized that there was a thick window to break. And something outside was blocking that window.

"It's over." Kiersten muttered wiping a tear away.

"Almost," was all I could manage.