1

Jay

I would have to say that being my own boss is the best part of being a business owner. Yes, there are some ups and downs to that, but I don't have to answer to nobody but myself.

Going to school, playing ball, and getting my degree were things that I thought were important to me, but I quickly realized that school wasn't my thing. It ain't for everybody, and it took me a minute to realize that I was "everybody" and it wasn't for me. I ain't have my number one supporter pushing me to keep going anymore, and after a while, I couldn't motivate myself. Suddenly, I didn't want it as bad as I did when she was alive.

I didn't have no one to fall back on, and it wasn't like I could just go live with my momma till I figured shit out for myself. Wasn't no family in the picture, and I sure as hell wasn't gonna go live with Wrenden and Flora.

A group of customers walked into the store, and I examined from afar. I thought of a few pieces that I felt they might be interested in, and walked toward them.

"Wassup y'all, glad to see some new faces in here. Anything in particular I can help you find?"

They responded with smiles, telling me that they were just looking. I was gonna let them look around the store, then if they tried to leave without buying something I'd show them some clothes they couldn't resist. People can't be tryna come up in here for the free AC. I know it's hot as hell out there, but no.

My phone buzzed making me pull it out of my pocket. It was Sierra. Mentally, I tried not to be so annoyed, being that she was the mother of my child and my friend. But she was becoming kinda irritating these past few weeks, and I knew something was bothering her. She just wouldn't tell me what. Until she came clean, I would be dealing with her attitude being put on me.

"Yeah, Si?"

"Did you go get Correy? It's almost time and you said you would get him early today. Where you even at?"

I kissed my teeth. "I said I would, so what you reminding me for? Relax, man. I got this. And where else would I be besides Bizzy right now? You know I'm working."

"Don't tell me to relax, Jaylen. I hate that shit," she snapped back.

"Hate is a strong word." See. I ain't even do nothing but she steady pestering me. I don't know if she's having trouble at work or what. All I know is that I just had to put up with it, for the sake of our son.

"You coming by for dinner?" I changed the subject. She had rejected coming over five times already, which was also strange. She always felt so much better after we talked it out.

Me and Sierra had a relationship that wasn't the most common, but it worked for us. After she gave birth to Correy, I tried to give her what she wanted: me to be a father to our kid but also her partner. And for a while, it was fine. But we both realized that it would be better for all three of us if we were to just remain co-parents.

Making that choice five years ago was the best thing we could ever do for each other.

"No, I have... I have things to take care of."

"Okay."

"When you see him, kiss him for me."

"Mhm." I knew I was being dry, but I needed to get back to work.

"Alright." I clicked off the call and placed the phone back into my pocket.

Tony, one of my employees, was checking people out at the register. As I had thought, the girls who walked in were going to leave with something in hand.