Chapter 8. Promises Made, Kept, and Broken

As a couple days passed and Astrid and Loki rode to the Heimdall's observatory as to try and repair for what Thor did on Jotunheim. Heimdall stood outside to greet the King and Queen to which both nodded in respect to their gatekeeper. As Heimdall opened the gate to allow Loki to go to the frozen planet, Astrid stayed with Heimdall as Loki didn't want her to risk her life. Once Loki left, both Astrid and Heimdall watched Loki as he was heading to Jotunheim. But suddenly, they couldn't see him.

"Do you see him, my queen?" Heimdall asked.

"Hardly. Something is happening that is preventing us to see." Astrid stated and both gate keepers looked at one another.

"It is Loki who is preventing us to see what is happening." Heimdall stated.

It wasn't long till Loki came back and Astrid went to his side. Loki merely smiled and kissed her temple, earning a small smile from her but it was short lived when Heimdall spoke to Loki about him not being able to see anything when Loki was on Jotunheim. With a simple dismisal, Loki looped arms with Astrid, walked to their horses and both rode back to the palace and both headed to Loki's chambers where Astrid stood at the threshold of the door. Loki had looked over and smiled at her. But she did not return the smile. Instead she looked at him with a blank expression and straightened her posture.

"What happened in Jotunheim?" She asked in a flat tone.

"What ever do you mean? I made peace with Laufey and apologized for my brothers brash actions." Loki replied and smiled. "Now, why not we find a quiet place and let time just pass away." He chuckled and was about to lay his hands on her shoulders, only to have two daggers press against his throat.

"You can not lie to me, Loki. What happened...now." Astrid commanded.

Loki raised his hands up in surrender and backed away from her as he knew how skilled she was with a blade, as he taught her what he knew.

"My my, fistey now are we? Tell me, did you find out how the Frost Giants came the first place?" Loki asked with a mischievious and almost sociopathic smirk and tone.

"I wanted to deny it... but I have my suspisions." Astrid replied truthfully.

"Oh do tell, my queen. For I will enlighten you if you so wish." Loki replied.

She tightened her grasp on her daggers, but was soon thwarted by the God of Mischief as he had used an illusion to sneak behind her and pin her to the wall. Astrid struggled and got out of his grasp, only to be tripped and land hard on her back on the stone floor. She hit the back of her head making her ears ring and for her to see spots. Loki had gripped her hands with one of his hands and grasped her throat with his other; his legs between her hips as he pinned her and choked her.

"I know you figured it out, so why lie to your king?" Loki hissed as he tightened his grasp around her throat.

Astrid felt her throat close from his strong grasp. She reached up and tried to scratch his face, but he pulled back just enough for her to barely graze him. Her skin began to turn a light shade of blue as she was unable to breath. Her legs thrashed under him as she tried to push him off. Another pawn to him, another piece of his plan that he can get rid of. But something inside him made him think of all that she had done for him. The comfort, joy, compassion, loyalty, sense of worth. Love. He finally snapped out of his sociopathic mindset and released her throat.

She coughed and gasped for air, pushing him off and dry heaving as she tried to take in the sweet air that her body despratly needed. Loki jumped back and watched the woman that had always seen him as an equal, even seeing for what he truly was, try to breath after his own anger towards his father and Thor lashed out to her as she found out what was happening. She was the Guardian of the Nine Realms, Seeker of Fate, and his beloved Queen from the day he met her. He couldn't lose her, and to know that he was about to end her made him truly feel like the monster he was. But his mind came back to reality as she tried to call for the guards. He ran to her and clasped a hand over her mouth to silence her cries for help.