Even She Has a Fear (Side Story)

A/N: Something that is a little peak into how Loki and Astrid would be in the earlier years before the set time line and to show that even the Goddess of Fate has fears.

Giggles echoed the hallway as Thor entertained some young maidens while the Warriors Three and Sif were enjoying the dinner and show. As one of the young ladies was about to bring the goblet of wine to her lips, she saw inside her cup snakes hissing and slithering making her scream so loud that Thor and the warriors jump into action only to hear laughter from Loki and Astrid sniggering behind him.

"Brother, why must you always scare our distinguished guests?" Thor asked as some of the girls cowered behind him for safety.

"It was just a little fun." Loki chuckled and waved his hand and the snakes vanished.

After Thor reasured the women that it was alright and safe, Loki and Astrid walked over to the tables to eat some food. Some of the women looked over to Astrid making her look over to them. They began to whisper and giggle making her raise a brow. Loki took notice and sat down to which he pulled out a seat for Astrid to which she sat and him sitting next to her.

"What is she to gain with the God of Mischief and a Prince of Asguard?" One of the maidens asked her friend to which Loki raised a brow and then looked over to Astrid.

Although she was eating and enjoying her time on Asguard and eating with her new found friends, her eyes showed a sort of doubt and hurt. Loki reached over to her and grasped her hand in his larger one. Astrid had jumped at the sudden contact and looked over to him. The maidens had noticed as well from her sudden reaction and waited to see what she would do next. Her eyes met with their own and then to Loki who was trying to be her support and rock. But Astrid saw something that made her pull his hand out of his own, stand up abruptly and hurry out of the dining room where she accidentally ran into one of the servants and knocked a tray of rich wine not only on the floor but on her and the servant as well. The maidens roared in laughter along with Thor and the others.

Astrid, embarrassed beyond belief teleported herself out of the room. Sif felt bad for what had happened as she saw Loki jump out of his seat and hurry after her. But not before he glared at Thor, making the God of Thunder look at him, still in fits of laughter.

"What?! It was hystarical!" Thor burst out in a roar of laughter.

"Have you no humility, brother?" Loki stated and soon ran after Astrid to comfort her.

Astrid had retreated to a secluded area in the palace grounds. A small but deep pond, dotted with beautiful water lilies and lily pads, a large trees that looked like weeping willows that glittered in the most beautiful shades of gold and ruby. Sitting at the water's edge, the words of what the maidens said made her think about her true reasons as to why she was staying in Asguard. And how Loki looked at her. Was it love that she saw? Or was it infatuation?

"I thought I'd find you here."

Astrid snapped out of her thoughts as she looked over her shoulder to see Loki walking over to her. She stood up to reveal that she still had not changed her soiled clothes. He smirked a little and chuckled before standing only a foot away from her.

"I'm sorry for what those women said. They were wrong. As for my brother... Well, you know he's a big oaf." Loki chuckled and looked at her, but she had her head down as if to avoid his stare which concerned him. "Are you alright?" His hand reaching out to touch her arm.

But she backed away surprising him.

"What do you see in me? What is it that you want from me?" Astrid asked and finally looking up into his eyes.