You broke me first (part one) | Briar & Myles

There was she by herself, in the distance, looking at the person her heart chose to love so dearly with someone else.

There she was, with salty tears falling down her cheeks, all alone.

The person he had chosen was perfect. She was one of those people that even if you stared at them for days, or even years, you wouldn't find any flaws on them. The girl he chose had a perfect body, a perfect face, perfect hair. And let's not forget about her personality. Apart from being very smart, she was also such a nice and sweet person.

So, but so much better than her.

Briar still hadn't processed what happened.

One night ruined everything. That one night broke her heart irreversibly.. the million pieces it shattered into weren't able to be held together again, to be fixed anymore.

She had lost him, she had lost herself, she had lost her whole world. The eyes that were once filled with happiness and love, were now full of tears.

Salty tears, salty cheeks.

One night, he walked up to her and ended everything. Everything. Their moments together, their laughs, the love they shared, the smiles that formed on their faces when they were just the two of them... Nothing else mattered. Just him and her.

Eventually, Briar realised how the way she cared about him wasn't equal to his. She would text him good morning and good night everyday, she would do anything for him. However, on the other side, Myles would barely ever text back. He would leave her on seen, and when he replied, his answers were dry. He didn't give her the attention she needed and wanted, and she slowly stopped being his number one priority.

Anytime she said the words "I love you", he would never say it back.

And considering that, she started trying to get his attention. By being dramatic. She would try and make him realise how much he was hurting her. She would cry and start up fights, show him the pain he was causing her. Why couldn't he love her back? Wasn't she good enough for him?

She was always trying to prove something to him. Prove that she was better than what he thought she was, prove that she was worth it.

It wasn't enough. It never was.

He didn't love her enough to care minimally.

And one day, he left. Left, so coldly:

"Happy Valentine's Day M!!!" Briar exclaimed excitedly, giving him a hug. She was wearing a tight red dress, and her hair was perfectly curled. If she looked perfect, he would love her a bit more and maybe be less cold.

She noticed how Myles didn't hug her back, and pulled away. She already knew what was about to come.

She noticed how he wasn't holding anything. No gift - no bouquet of beautiful flowers, no chocolate, no jewellery. Nothing.

Briar looked up at Myles' eyes, and the smile that was previously on her face vanished, just like dust.

His eyes looked sad and uncomfortable. She just remained silent, waiting for his reaction.

Myles sighed before finally speaking up, after a few seconds.

"Briar, we need to talk"

She felt the tears coming. No. He couldn't. Her breath increased more and more each second. The pain her heart was feeling was indescribable. Until then, she didn't know what she would do without him in her life.. she just couldn't imagine it.

"What.." Briar mumbled, her voice cracking up due to her effort to keep the tears in.

Myles took a step forwards. The tension in the air was intense.